Nano reef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano reef?

I've been doing a little bit of research and it's a little intimidating. I recently came across a 5 gallon countertop tank. Currently, I have nothing to do with it.

I grew up with a salt water tank (140g) and I absolutely love the fish. So, around december or so of last year, I got my own tank, after taking care of my little brother's (30g freshwater) for a year and my own (10g freshwater) for longer than that. My recent tank is a 44 gallon freshwater with cichlids and I haven't killed anything, yet!

My questions to you all are: How much would it cost to set up a 5g nano reef? Something easy, like a tang or a small(ish) eel. What kind of filtration would I need? Water changes? What kind of "job fish" would I need for a small eel or a tang? Am I so far out of my league that this tank is a distant dream?
    College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

You arent going to be able to hold those fish in a 5G they get too big
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

no way your gonna fit a tang or an eel in a 5.5 g for any good length of time. they would outgrow it very quick.
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

You aren't gonna be able to house much of anything in the 5g fishwise... maybe a citron goby. An alternative would be to look into sexy shrimp or pompom crabs, interesting to watch and would work in that size tank with proper maintenance and care.

Tangs should really be in really large/long tanks cause they require a lot of swimming room and also grazing.
        An Eel is just gonna produce way too much waste and most likely will end up dried on the floor in such a small tank.

Take the time and do some research on it before taking the dive, you'd save a ton of money doing so and the experience will be much more enjoyable.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Im debating on selling my saltwater 29 g Bio Cube if your interested pm me.
          A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Throwing in the towel? I still wouldnt keep tangs in a 29G
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I realizd today why I thought tangs were so small. When I was 7, and had a 140 gallon, they looked tiny. lols. I'll talk to my parents about the biocube, that would be awesome!
              College = fishless for now. Vicarious living!

Comment

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                Throwing in the towel? I still wouldnt keep tangs in a 29G
                I dont want to, but working 2 jobs isnt leaving me with much time to enjoy it.
                A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Working...
                X