Feeding regime for GSP info wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding regime for GSP info wanted

I've had my lil' GSP (Mr. Pufferingtonburgstein)
    for maybe a little over a year and a half. He is apox 4-4 1/2 inch
    long and in 29Gal FW tank by himself. My question is how much should one feed
    a GSP of this size and age?

I currently feed him Bio-Pure frozen brine shrimp cubes
    and sometimes live ghost shrimp and/or sun dried shrimp. I've read that they will alot of times
    not finish there meals and make messes of the tank. This one never does. He seems to
    always want more. He will eat a whole brine cube and look like he's gonna pop but still
    trolls the bottom looking for more.
    Last edited by insomniaclush; 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM.

Re: Feeding regime for GSP info wanted

I let loose like 100 mts and let my gsp fend for himself. He also eats flakes when I feed my other fish.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    -Stephen Roberts

Comment

Some puffers know when to stop eating while others won't. Sounds like yours could easily eat itself to death. You want to feed him enough to where he has a slight tummy. You will want to switch up his diet constantly and try to supplement with vitamins as much as possible.
      Example of feeding schedule
      Monday - fed ghost shrimp
      Tuesday - fed formula one cube
      Wednesday - fed thawed uncooked shrimp
      Thursday - fed formula two cube
      Friday - fed thawed uncooked scallop or squid
      Saturday - fed brine shrimp
      Sunday - no food

I try to follow this when I fed my mbu. It is hard to stop feeding them when they beg so much! :-) Hope I helped!
      Merritt Adkins
      Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
      Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
      The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by MerrittA View Post
        Some puffers know when to stop eating while others won't. Sounds like yours could easily eat itself to death. You want to feed him enough to where he has a slight tummy. You will want to switch up his diet constantly and try to supplement with vitamins as much as possible.
        Example of feeding schedule
        Monday - fed ghost shrimp
        Tuesday - fed formula one cube
        Wednesday - fed thawed uncooked shrimp
        Thursday - fed formula two cube
        Friday - fed thawed uncooked scallop or squid
        Saturday - fed brine shrimp
        Sunday - no food

I try to follow this when I fed my mbu. It is hard to stop feeding them when they beg so much! :-) Hope I helped!
        No snails?
        BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Any type of mollusk would be great. (snails, scallops, squid) People tend to feed too many crustaceans (shrimp, crawfish) and not enough mollusks to their puffers. So any snails would be great too! :)
          Merritt Adkins

Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
          The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Any type of mollusk would be great. (snails, scallops, squid) People tend to feed too many crustaceans (shrimp, crawfish) and not enough mollusks to their puffers. So any snails would be great too! :)
            Do you want some for your puffer?

Comment

Are you selling large (quarter or larger) sized snails?
              Merritt Adkins

Comment

Are you selling large (quarter or larger) sized snails?
                Sorry, don't have any that big. Nickle and smaller. I by all means I am not selling them, but giving them, or if you must give something....just donate to HFB. The only thing I am asking for is py for the shipping. $6 priority for a small box, which can fit quite a few snails. Enough to feed some, and throw the others in a bucket to breed more food.

Comment

Working...
                X