• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pods and Mandarin Discussion

Originally posted by myjohnson
    Thats good news!

These bugs only come out at night?

Could just be some pods. Takes them a while to multiply become really noticeable.
    The bugs are always on the glass. I can't tell what they look like but they are fast little buggers. I wipe them off but they always come back. Kinda look like small white fleas. It's too hard to tell.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    -Stephen Roberts

Could be some copepods maybe.

This link might also help you ID them.

I have seen something like this on my glass at night also. IMO, they copepods which are like 1/20th the size of amphipods.

I notice out breaks of them from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

There are also fishes that will eat them if you don't like having them around. Angel seem loves them. Mandarin also feed off pods.

Help the info helped man.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

They are pods that sounds like the same ones I have
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Hope so it turns out the little specks of dust o thought the powerhead was pushing up was the bugs. I turned off the pumps and let the dust settal and the bugs where all over my glass so I wiped them off and boom my tank was cloudy again. I think I'm going to get a mandarin tomorrow. Hope that takes care of the big problem. Btw the alge problem cleared up real good.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
        -Stephen Roberts

Comment

I saw a small mandarin at FG which would be fine for your size tank until it gets bigger.

Also, mandarins are really picky eaters. A lot of people wait until their tank is establish for months before getting one. The mandarin will eat the pods and while it does that you should try to get it to take other foods.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
            I saw a small mandarin at FG which would be fine for your size tank until it gets bigger.

Also, mandarins are really picky eaters. A lot of people wait until their tank is establish for months before getting one. The mandarin will eat the pods and while it does that you should try to get it to take other foods.
            +1
            Most mandarins starve to death because of insufficient pod populations coupled with their finicky feeding habits.

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Re: Cloudy tank

How big do they get? And how long dose it take to get that big? I'm looking into making a fish room andight put up a larger (200+) sw tank

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

There are actually a lot of different ones. Not all are the blue/green ones you see. There are red ones and black/white ones also....to name a few.

Mandarin dragonets reach a maximum of 4 inches in length. They require a tank no smaller than a 30 gallon, if they are accepting prepared foods.

If they are not eating anything you offer then you need a large established aquarium with a lot of live rock. 75 gallon minimum per mandarin.

Their growth rate really depends on how well they eat.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I have a 28g I should be good for a wile with it.

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

Just try to fine one that is eating prepared food already.

Shop around some of the LFS.

I'm planning to get one when I upgrade my tank.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Just try to fine one that is eating prepared food already.

Shop around some of the LFS.

I'm planning to get one when I upgrade my tank.
                      The only place that I've seen with them was FG I hate to buy from there becouse they are so overpriced but I really want one.

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

Maybe try and PM tang-chaser. He has a mandarin and I think it's finally starting to eat for him.

He might have some insight and tips on how to get them to start eating prepared food.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Re: Pods and Mandarin Discussion

I was just wondering how to grow pods. In case I run out.

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

you can purchase pods in a bottle....kind of expensive though. CP sells them there up by the cash register in the refridgerator.
                            25g - Reef
                            3.5g - Surge Tank
                            10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Never read about anyone "growing pods." They will just multiple in your tank. That's why people suggest an "established" tank for mardarins b/c the food supply is there.

In a 30g, a mardarin can eat the supply of pods faster then the pods can reproduce.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X