For anyone who has had a sick puffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone who has had a sick puffer

I just wanted anyone who currently has a sick puffer, or had one that was sick with ick or flukes to know about this amazing stuff that I used on my mbu puffer.

For his ick, I used quinine sulfate which is amazing stuff. It is not damaging to his health like the other ick cures and it is completely safe to use on scaleless fish. (I know you can use salt to help, but it never seemed to completely destroy the ick.)

For his flukes, I used Praziquantel. It worked amazing in getting rid of his flukes.

I know how hard it can be to cure puffers and I just thought others would appreciate these medications.

Hope I helped someone.
    Merritt Adkins
    Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
    Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
    The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

thanks for the info...may need it in the future...
    but one question..how much to dose?

Comment

What is the likely cause if it is skinny (eating but stays skinny? Parasites? If so, what is the best way to treat for them?
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
        What is the likely cause if it is skinny (eating but stays skinny? Parasites? If so, what is the best way to treat for them?
        The fish or puffer probably had internal parasites. The best cure that I have found is to feed Ultra Cure PX from Aquarium Products. It is a medication gel food that kills internal parasites. For my puffers, I will soak some freeze dried krill in the gel and feed it to them that way. My boyfriend also recommends trying to add garlic. It has been found to boast immune systems in fish (and people!). You have to feed them the medicated food for a few weeks before they are cured. :-) Hope I helped!
        Merritt Adkins
        Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
        Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
        The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Working...
        X