Turtle tank filteration....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle tank filteration....

Just wondering what other turtle keepers use as filters for thier aquatic turtles? I, or rather my 7 yr old daughter, have 2 red ears around 3 inches each.

Right now we have them in a 10 gal for the winter so we can bring them in and take them out as weather permits. Once it warms up this Spring we have a cool little plastic sand box that looks like it's made of stone that they will be going in.
    A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Back when the kids were little we kept a couple RES that the boys had caught in a plastic kiddie pool. I used coarse sponge filters driven by an air pump just for mech filtration. I didn't really care about biofiltering the pool as I did a 100% weekly water change, and the turtles weren't effected by ammonia, etc.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I use 2 internal Fluval filters in my 30 gallon long that houses my Mud and Musk Turtles.
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

So I should be fine with a HOB filter....thanks guys!:emt_thumbs:
        A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Comment

when you move back outside,
          I would go with a small submersable pump and a home made wet/dry (any plastic storage container)
          Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

I use one of these to do water changes for tanks that are lower than my deep sink.
          Last edited by PhishPhreek; 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i kept and raised a female res from 3"tl, to 13"tl, i had her for 6 years, she lived her whole life in a 75g tank.

i used and eheim 2217 and rena xp4.

i usually had to clean these filter every month or so.

i had 2x 4ft twin tube shop lights, each ran one exoterra 40watt flourescent reptisun bulb, and a flora max for the anarachis and hornwort that i was growing for her to graze on.
            it was a display i had bought over 100lbs of fla stone flat rocks, and used quick crete to hold them together, it was like a step stone ladder leading to a large 15x12" stone ontop where she would bask, she had 1x 150watt reptisun basking bulb over her stone.

if you are doing a pond in would reccomend a large homemade sponge filter system, on my bros 96x36x32 620g turtle pond we built i made a massive sponge filter out of a mage 9 pump which i attached a pvc male adapter to and put a 1" pvc pipe on it about 12" long with slits cut into it all the way down on both sides of the pipe and capped off with a pvc cap, i slipped a large roll of quilt batting over the pipe and it kept the pond spottless, i ran 3 of these in there.

each one is good for around 250g.
            just keep ontop of cleaning it or it wil burn the motor up.
            FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

I had a 3" softshell in a convict/bullhead tank when I was a teen. Had a small ledge and various floating pumice to crawl out onto. I used 2 big HOB filters and he grew quickly.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
              X