Jim's Planted Tanks meet sb-600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim's Planted Tanks meet sb-600

Jim has like one hundred million RCS in his tank!
    I ate my fish that died.

one hundred million? you need to re-count looks like alot more to me.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Ever since you reminded me of this joke I been saying this sh-it a lot!
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

You seem to have figured out that flash in a hurry. How did you use it overhead/direct/bounced?
        120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
        180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Looks ok bro, you need more practice )

Comment

Originally posted by Gene D View Post
            You seem to have figured out that flash in a hurry. How did you use it overhead/direct/bounced?
            Gene, it was kind of hard to figure out actually. I guess for the more experience photographers it would have been fast. But I had to read both the camera and flash manuals a number of times. I got all the settings right and still had to post on some forums to get extra help. But in the end I finally figured it out. It's a very nicely designed flash system I have to say. If anyone has Nikon I would recommended it.

At Jim's house I just used it free hand and mostly as overhead. I don't have a diffuser yet either. Which is what I'm going to get next. I also read about the light bounce box. Really cool, I might try it at my house. Also, I was taking shots last night on my tanks and noticed that while using the overhead flash I would have to shut off all the filters. Water movement was creating a HM/HQI shimmering effect in the picture....which didn't look good to me. But with the right picture it could look kind of cool.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by ssrprelude View Post
              Looks ok bro, you need more practice )
              When you getting your flash foo!?
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Well done bro, proper flash exposure is not easy regardless of experience. I guess this is the next step for me. I have been debating between the SB-600 and 800. Then the macro.....man it never ends!

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks man. Both the 600 and 800 is good. Just don't get the 900. It's getting bad reviews.

I also picked the 600 b/c for what I do (taking pictures of fishes) I don't need the power of a 800 or 900.

Next on my list.....60mm/2.8!
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Good call Thai. I didnt think of it like that, plus the 600 is about half the price. Looks like we are working from the same shopping list, I am just a little behind you

Comment

Does your camera have CLS?

If it doesn't you might have to get the 800/900 to act as a master flash. The d90 has CLS, which allows for the on-board to be the master. I just set for it not to go off (it actually does still go off, but just as a pre-flash which triggers the slave--this took me about an hour to figure out!). But I'm not 100% sure so you might want to confer with someone with more experience. Hopefully Donald can comment on this issue.

You might be a little behind in the flash department but way a head in the knowledge and skill department man!
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Then the macro.....man it never ends!

Just $500 bucks! Do it Bro!
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                          When you getting your flash foo!?
                          I don't use flash at all when I take fish shots. I will get the 580 soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                            Does your camera have CLS?

No the D1X was a pro DSLR and does not have an onboard flash. I can use it remotely though

You might be a little behind in the flash department but way a head in the knowledge and skill department man!
                            Thanks mighty kind of you to say.

I think the next step is multiple SB-600's followed by the 60 2.8

Comment

Thanks mighty kind of you to say.

I think the next step is multiple SB-600's followed by the 60 2.8
                              Yeah, two sb-600s seem to do the trick on longer tanks.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X