trying SW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying SW

i have a 55gal FW setup and am going to try SW. my question is would going to a 175 gal setup be to big to start in? i am wanting to do a reef with the coral and anemones and all that cool stuff that frest water doesn't have.
    pepperoni pizza

u gonna need to invest some $$$$$ into a 175...

Comment

Upside to using the 175g is it's going to be easier to keep stable. Down side is it's going to take some cash. Personally, I would just tryout the 55g and if you are still into it down the road upgrade to the 175g.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

well i have had the 55g for a couple years now and its a little small for me. i want to upgrade to around a 100g but i found a 175g for a real good price.
        pepperoni pizza

Comment

also thinking about the $$$$$ into one, that might be a bit much. it comes with the tank, stand, and sump. he said the bulkhead needs replace and there are no lights.
          pepperoni pizza

Comment

and im not looking to put a bunch of fish in it for a while, i would like to the reef first. get the coral, anemones, and all the scenary going good first
            pepperoni pizza

Comment

Yeah bigger is definately easier to maintain and keep stable but man to do it right its going to cost you. Thats why I am starting off small to get my feet wet then I have a 90G waiting for when I am ready for bigger.
              Resident fish bum
              330G FOWLR
              34G Reef
              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

ok does any know how to set up my freshwater tank to a saltwater tank? i know you are supposed to drill a hole, but i don't know what size, or where i could get the hole saw big or how easy it would be to break the glass. i have seen on ebay the diamond tipped bit for $30, but that seems high. also where could i find the piping and cover for the overflow or what ever the salt water tanks have.
                pepperoni pizza

Comment

also this is the tank i am looking at, the 175g. i think i can get it for around $500.

pic won't work for work will upload when i get home.
                  pepperoni pizza

Comment

do you have a budget about how much u gonna spend? or how much you could spend?
                    you can pretty much figure out how much you have to invest in...because there are things that you must have in order for a 175g reef to work....
                    for that size of thank, u gonna need around 300lb of live rock...and with the private sale price now, its gonna cost you around $600 at least.. if you buying it in lfs...even more....
                    and then the light...its gonna cost you a few hundred...and skimmers..powerheads, ato, and all those other stuffs are gonna add up...and water change is something to consider too...
                    not trying to scare you, but just a heads up so you will know you have to spend more and more money in the future...i am assuming no one is gonna buy everything all together..it is a ongoing process, so as long as you have a good plan ready, it should be ok. but there are some people that trying to build reef tank, and something happens in the middle of the process, they run out of money and have to sell everything they spent hours of hard work and big chunk of cash they invested in with a really low price...so the main point is...as long as you are financially strong, and ready for buying hardwares and upgrades, and you are willing to invest the time into maintenance of the tank, you are good..

Comment

that is not a prob as a ongoing thing, but for the $600 LR that is alot at once. can i keep building the reef once i have it setup or do i have to have the reef pretty much all. i had a brakish water tank to feed my cichlids so doing the salt level is pretty easy. but if i can set it up have like nemo and the anemone and just start building the reef little by little that would be good.

when i buy the live rock does it have to be submerged in water or can i buy some every week and stack it in a pile until i get enough.
                      pepperoni pizza

Comment

It's commonly advised that you should not add a lot LR once you have cycled your tank already from the first group of LR. You can add small amounts over time after the cycle. Main concern would be to have a mini cycle after the first one cause you added too much LR at once.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

+1 not including the tank I have spent about $250 just to cycle the tank basically. This includes 35lbs of LR, a bag of LS, ATO & pump, Reservoir tank, heater, power strip w/ timer, and Refractometer.
                          Resident fish bum
                          330G FOWLR
                          34G Reef
                          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

ok i think what i am going to do is buy the 175g and use it as a FW and then use my 55g as SW. or to start off that way. if i could get a 175g bow front for $500 with sump, stand, and pump then i should right. that is a good buy right?
                            pepperoni pizza

Comment

Depending on condition, brand, and type of trim/stand but generally I would say, yes that's a good deal.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X