Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info you need to know when choosing a dslr camera.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info you need to know when choosing a dslr camera.

Here is some info to help you make a knowledgeable decision when buying a camera.

Shutter life: Shutter life is the number of photos a camera can take before the shutter breaks. Most entry level cameras have a shorter life span than its more expensive brothers. Thats one of the main differences when comparing a cannon rebel to a d series. Good news is your average person will never reach the end of the shutter life of there camera. Bad news is its hard to know how many shots were taken on a used camera.

Accessories: Some camera brands just offer more lenses and add-ons, not to mention software than others. Its best to stick with camera brands such as cannon, nikon, or fuji (uses nikon lens). A lens that you would want for fish photography would be a low aperture anti shake (unless your shooting with a tripod).

Megapixels: Megapixels dont really mean squat now. Everybody puts out a camera over 12 megapixels now. you dont need anything bigger unless your doing photos bigger than a poster. Also quality can be completely different when comparing 2 cameras with the same megapixel. That is why most photographers talk about having min file size as a requirement and not pixels.

Iso rating. How well does this camera perform at high iso. You are going to be shooting a fish tank that is relatively dark in light. You will be shooting with an iso over 800.

Digital back: How accurate is the screen on the back of the camera. Does the color match whats showing up on the computer. Example the nikon d700 will have some yellow hue in the photo on the back of the camera, but when you open it on the computer its not yellow or it is not as yellow.

White balancing: Most of the people that read this may never learn to correctly white balance the camera, but a professional photographer is always using custom white balance. This sets apart cannon from nikon. nikon gives a more accurate cleaner white balance. Cannon will add some orange to the photos, and will be better set on a kelvin white balance other than the custom white balance setting. Also cannons buttons and nikons buttons are reversed and zooming in and out is backwards.

Heres just some things you should think about b4 buying a camera. My knowledge on cameras is very accurate because I have been a paid photographer for 6 years now. I have used such cameras as cannon a1, cannon rebels, cannon 10d,20d,5d, Fuji s3, nikon d100,d300(my fav) and nikon d700
    75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

I have been dissatiisfyed with my L20 and really like this picture

taken as follows Make: NIKON Model: E5700 F stop: F/3.6 Exposure: 10/951 sec. Focal length: 23.7 mm Flash: flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode (16) Metering mode: pattern (5) Dimensions: 750x592
    Can you recomend a current model / settings that will provide comparable shots ?
    Last edited by PhishPhreek; 01-20-2010, 07:34 PM.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

The links not working...... But all the newer nikon dslr produce excellent color.
      75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Comment

Working...
      X