Looking to get a few guppies......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a few guppies......

I have never owned Guppies. I have a 29 g tank with 3 Black Skirt Tetras, Cory Cat and a Clown Loach.

Would guppies be ok in this tank? How many should I get?

I also have an extra 30 g. tank that isnt set up that I plan on setting up soon.

Im reading up on guppies from a few sites. But input from personal experiance is always better.

Thanks.
    J
    A wife, two kids and two cats.

Guppies should do fine in that tank - any type will work.

:emt_thumbs:
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

All it takes is 2 (or 1 if she has been in a tank with males)
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

+1

The only thing is that they are a topwater fish. So you may have a crowd on top and not much swimming around otherwise. That's what happened with my 29G. Especially with the males, the ones you will want to see. So you may also want to finish the school of tetras for balance. I used Serpaes and Black Skirts in the guppy tank with good success.
        55g Planted- Malawi and Victorian Cichlids
        35g Cube- P. Saulosi, Petrochromis, Sunshine Peacocks
        20L Planted- RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Snails
        2.5g Planted- Snails, RCS

Comment

how many Tetras are considered a school?

Does anyone recommend a certain LFS or Breeder for a good quality Guppy?
          A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Sorry. Had to go play guitar for a bit. Probably 8 or ten in that sized tank would be reasonable. They are the kind of fish that like to be in schools.

Should get replies for awesome guppies here on the box, just post in the correct forum for wanted fish. You need to decide exactly what you want, of course. There are lots of different guppies.
            55g Planted- Malawi and Victorian Cichlids
            35g Cube- P. Saulosi, Petrochromis, Sunshine Peacocks
            20L Planted- RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Snails
            2.5g Planted- Snails, RCS

Comment

I still think mixing guppies with tetras could cause for missing fins. Tetras, especially black skirts are known to be nippers....maybe thats just me though. Right up there with male bettas and tiger barbs.
              BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

i second that is definitely going to happen, especially at nigth.

Comment

Working...
                X