Nano Macro Planted Tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nano Macro Planted Tanks?

Just wondering if anyone here has/had a Macro Algae tank before? I was seriously considering going for a 8-14G Oceanic Biocube...perhaps for my birthday. I have no idea where to begin to be honest. I have been re-reading, trying to catch up and re-learn all over again but after years of (legal)Rx drugs my mind just is kinda blah LOL!

I have a general idea of how i want to set it up looks/livestock wise, its the actual equiptment that is hurting my head. I have a couple of protein skimmers and sumps but they are all for giant tanks. Would a Biocube even have a need for that sort of thing? I wasnt really interested in corals at the moment, just Algaes. I have never kept/seen them kept before so any help would be greatly appreciated!

A few inspirational pics I picked up from the net. If they're yours or you know whos they are, lemme know and I'll post it!

My fave:

others:

40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

Those do look cool I think MJ wants a macro algae tank hit him up for info on it.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I do have marco in my little SW tank. I want to get more.

I also have corals in mine. So it's a combo of both. There is a really good place to order marco algae.

I'll post the link when I get on my laptop.

For now, check out this forum: http://www.reef-solutions.com/forums...hp?t=38&page=5
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

sweet thanks ^^

Comment

Here is a good place to buy marco: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=34

Selection is not crazy big but it changes from week to week. I got some free stuff if you want.

I like the red macros. There are some really rare stuff that pops up from time to time that looks nuts! Like it could be a coral or something.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Yeah a small patch of red macros would look cool
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Check back with reefcleaners when the weather warms up a bit.... during the cold spells there's not much to collect.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

thanks a ton guys! It will probably be march or so before I get the tank actually set up. I was going to use some fiji live rock that we still have left over from the big tank we took down 6 or so years ago. Definatly was going to use live sand. I was thinking the black tahitian stuff. Reviving the live rock shouldnt be too hard if I used live sand heh...or even could get ahold of some seasoned water. Only bummer is that my xmas tree fans are long gone D:

I also had in mind to use either a regular ol' 10G or 20G long with a HOB w/surface skimmer and possibly a 900gph powerhead. Im not sure if the powerhead would be goin overboard on a 10G though :/ Id of course have to buy a new light strip. I do not know if WPG applies to saltwater macros/zoas/shrooms but I wanna kinda have at LEAST 3-4wpg.

ps ek- i loved your old tank! <3

Comment

Originally posted by Kittysnax View Post
                  thanks a ton guys! It will probably be march or so before I get the tank actually set up. I was going to use some fiji live rock that we still have left over from the big tank we took down 6 or so years ago. Definatly was going to use live sand. I was thinking the black tahitian stuff. Reviving the live rock shouldnt be too hard if I used live sand heh...or even could get ahold of some seasoned water. Only bummer is that my xmas tree fans are long gone D:

I also had in mind to use either a regular ol' 10G or 20G long with a HOB w/surface skimmer and possibly a 900gph powerhead. Im not sure if the powerhead would be goin overboard on a 10G though :/ Id of course have to buy a new light strip. I do not know if WPG applies to saltwater macros/zoas/shrooms but I wanna kinda have at LEAST 3-4wpg.

ps ek- i loved your old tank! <3
                  900gph powerhead on a 10 gallon sounds too much...

Comment

I figured LOL!!! It was all I had left over from the big tank ;3

Comment

Working...
                    X