"retail" cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "retail" cameras

Ok so my sony cybershot 5.1 megapixel with 3x zoom isnt workin for me on those "up-close and personal" pictures. Is there a lens I can buy so I can take macro(?) pictures? Or would I end up having to dish out 1,000$ for a new cam?

It was a decent cam in its hay-day (Holiday season of 2005) but those days of normal goofy picture takin are over. It is still good for Full Tank Shots and pix of the family and whatnot, but those super-zoom moments just wont happn. You can tell from the "closeups" of the ghost shrimp I took in my Planted Tank Journal...I just want somthing that can take a clear cut picture of somthing up close such as a shrimp, or a egg clutch on the glass of my tank, ect....

I also dont think this cam is on "high quality" settings, so I dont know if that would help. Ill try it out but I dont have faith in the old codger anymore. :<
    40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

Originally posted by Kittysnax View Post
    Ok so my sony cybershot 5.1 megapixel with 3x zoom isnt workin for me on those "up-close and personal" pictures. Is there a lens I can buy so I can take macro(?) pictures? Or would I end up having to dish out 1,000$ for a new cam?

What you have is considered a point and shoot in the camera industry. What you want is a DSLR. One of the differences between the two is that with a P&S you can not change the lens and with a DSLR you can replace the lens.

It was a decent cam in its hay-day (Holiday season of 2005) but those days of normal goofy picture takin are over.

It should still be a decent camera. But no P&S can compare to a DSLR.

It is still good for Full Tank Shots and pix of the family and whatnot, but those super-zoom moments just wont happn. You can tell from the "closeups" of the ghost shrimp I took in my Planted Tank Journal...I just want somthing that can take a clear cut picture of somthing up close such as a shrimp, or a egg clutch on the glass of my tank, ect....

DSLR with marco lens will do the trick.

I also dont think this cam is on "high quality" settings, so I dont know if that would help. Ill try it out but I dont have faith in the old codger anymore. :<
    Hope the info helps.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

it helped answer my questions, now i just have to find one that wont break the bank LOL Thanks ^^

Comment

In the meantime this is what you can do..

1. Change to the highest picture quality setting
        2. Set your cameral to M
        3. Zoom all the way out (far)
        4. Turn the flash off
        5. Set your Aperture to F2.8
        6. Set your shutter to 1/60th as a starting point.
        7. Set your ISO to 400 or whatever its highest setting is.

Start snapping your shots. Don't zoom, that will affect your aperture. If you need to get closer, you're going to physically have to act as your camera's zoom to compensate for the settings. Once you have a few shots to see what your baseline settings are here are some changes you can make:

1. If the picture is still too dark you can slow the shutter speed down to let more light in. Try 1/40th, then 1/20th, etc.. Realize though that anything slower than 1/60th is going to require a steady hand, and possibly even something to prop the camera on (chair end or tripod). Also, if the fish are fast movers, anything slower than 1/60th is probably going to be blurry.

2. If the camera can't autofocus because you're so close to a small object thats on the glass, try turning on your Macro setting (the little flower on the back D pad).

I took my first fish pictures with this very same camera (DSC-W1) and got some decent enough results using those settings. Ultimately however I broke down and got a DSLR. Good luck!
        Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

jeebus youre a lifesaver.....heres my better pix lol

Comment

Nice work!

I really like the first picture.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

lol thnx, it only took me about 5 of the same shot to get one that focused(?) right ;3 Its my current fave as well...now if only the ghosts with the red spots on its tail and red bands on its arms will come out of hiding....i have like 2 that have the red markings on them its weird.

Comment

Now we're cooking with fire! The other tip I forgot was that it will probably take about 20 snaps for every picture you like. Keep snapping!
                Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Working...
                X