X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long ?

I just siliconed 2 1/4" glass deviders in a 15g tank
    Now I have 3 5g tanks
    How long should I let the silicone cure before putting water back in ?

back to the fish room, I have 3 to put in a 20g long.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

I let mine sit about 18-24 hours.
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

a week

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
        I just siliconed 2 1/4" glass deviders in a 15g tank
        Now I have 3 5g tanks
        How long should I let the silicone cure before putting water back in ?

back to the fish room, I have 3 to put in a 20g long.
        Hopefully you used an aquarium grade silicone. It can be found at Lowe's. Read the instructions it should spell out cure times.

You also need to let the vapors burn off.

Comment

We usually let ours sit between 24 and 48 hours.
          Our Fishhouse
          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I always wait 5 days.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

if all else fails, read the directions

I have been using Star Brite marine silicone sealant and the mfr data claims it will cure in 24 hours. Still haven't found out if it will kill my fish but it meets fed spec TT-S-001543A & TT-S-00230C
              same as GE Silicone 1

for other brand specs & cure times see
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I have always waited at least 72 hours before exposing any new reseal job to water.

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I say if the fish can't get stuck, let 'er rip.
                  So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Hi and uh oh...

I looked up the Star Brite marine silicone sealant and wondered if its the type that was used in our boat that had a fungicide in it... The data on this does not indicate that this is the case.................. I think your going to be alright...

The reason we used this sealant in our boat was that it was so good not to rot under sun and water type conditions...

24 hours was the ideal curing time...

But

As was said Lowes has aquarium sealant but its not allowed under Dow Corning to sell it as such... But as long as its 100 proof silicone without any fungicide.. then its good to go....

Soooo any non bathroom or kitchen silicone glue sealant will work.....

I suppose Dow Corning (just my opinion) can make more money by selling aquarium sealant than advertising the other as okay for aquarium too..

Bill

Comment

if its not a load bearing seal 24 hours is plenty of time.
                      25g - Reef
                      3.5g - Surge Tank
                      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

ive literally sealed things and used them within 2 hours and never had problems
                        I make people happy

Comment

I filled the center 5g partition of the 15g tripple tank and had no leaks so I filled up all 3 sections and put a dozen test fish in each section.

some of them looked bad off in only 15 minutes so I was really worried about the silicone but today, 20hrs later I have a 100% survival rate so I'm pretty sure the STAR BRITE silicone is fish friendly.
                          Last edited by PhishPhreek; 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

a week to be sure
                            46 gallon bow front
                            Grow Out Cichlid tank

240 gallon long
                            Community SA/CA/African Cichlid (we will see how it works out....)

Comment

It has been a little over 60 hours since I put silicone in my tank and it still stinks. Does that mean that it hasn't finished curing? I did use a thick coat because it was in a tight spot and I couldn't smooth it out good.

Comment

Working...
                              X