Spots in the east?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spots in the east?

Well seeing as how I cannot sleep due to the insane amount of pain from the "toe-hacking" I got to thinkin about stuff I wanted to do when I can walk again lol!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any collection places for aquatic plants in the baytown/pasadena/webster/laporte area? I would figure most of the area is saltwater or brackish. But do ya think there would be any native plants that I could snag in that area? Also, if you have a picture of what I would/could find that would help a ton!

Hopefully in a couplea weeks when this is all healed up and "shoe safe" Im gonna zip up my boots, hop on the motorcycle, and go see what I can find. Any help/advice would be appreciated, even if I shouldnt bother puttin native stuff in the tank LOL!
    40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

In Baytown there is a little pond/lake in meadow lake subdivision(behind Cavender's) that is totally full of fish and probably plants too. I go out there to fish, but im not into plants so I dont ever pay them any attention. you could check it out though. When you pull in the neighborhood...the lake is directly behind the neighborhood pool.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

If i remember right cavenders is on i10 near garth right? I used to deliver pizza in that neighborhood a few years ago if it is the place i remember ;3

Comment

yeah thats it.
        250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

sweet, thats not too far as im like...a street over from roseland park. I used to run across gators in the woods of roseland park when I was a kid, so I bet there would be some stuff there...but I also bet it would be more on the salt/brackish side. D:

Comment

Sheldon Lake State Park is situated 2 miles East of Beltway 8. Marshy areas contain hydrilla throughout entire site. Limited quantities of coontail, Eurasian watermilfoil, and American lotus
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

If you see a roadside ditch with any body of water, park on the side of the road and check it out! Usually there are more than a few species of native aquatic plants growing there.

Lots of our native plants can be found growing emergent along the "shoreline." Many are also half-in, half-out of the water. These can be brought home, cleaned, and put in your aquarium(s) where they'll take a little while but will eventually develop fully submerged growth. Lemme check for some links that contain pictures of these plants so you can recognize them; but really, most of the plants you see growing in these types of places are aquatics.

If it's brackish water, it will be on the lower-end - except for some like Spartina and seagrasses, vascular plants don't like salt. :)
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yes never forget about the street medians too. I'll never forget when I went collecting in the ritzy part of sugarland and was pulling out black and white crappie in a street median in front of the country club. If there is water, the maintenance people don't deal with it, so there is a good chance of there being native plants.
                75 planted (Being Renovated)
                Endlers
                gobies
                lots of nanos

Comment

sweet, my to-do list is fillin up quickly ^_^

I had been wonderin about ditches since yesterday. Saw a ton of ditches and standing water driving to humble. (we take i10-bltwy8-59)

edit: I have been lookin up the plants phish stated and since they are considered invasive "weeds" would it still be okay to put in my tank? I dont really care if they are, I kinda think they are pretty xP

I would guess they would pretty much be "kill proof", considering they are invasive. Or would it most likely be somthing Id regret later down the line for invading my tank?
                  Last edited by Kittysnax; 12-19-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Invasive just mean that they can out-compete natives in the big picture, but it doesn't mean they are going to take over your tank, specially if you trim them down when they need it.

Edit: And kill-proof is an oxymoron. Name it and I've killed it.
                    75 planted (Being Renovated)
                    Endlers
                    gobies
                    lots of nanos

Comment

Hydrilla IS invasive. Don't take that one. Actually, I think TPWD recommends destroying it as you see it...not positive, though.

All the others PP mentioned are natives...I think. It's been a long day. :)
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                        Hydrilla IS invasive. Don't take that one. Actually, I think TPWD recommends destroying it as you see it...not positive, though.

All the others PP mentioned are natives...I think. It's been a long day. :)
                        aw poop, that was the one i really liked LOL!

Comment

Working...
                        X