This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity Tank for Children's Cancer Hospital

So, as many of you know, I work at MD Anderson as a Principal Project Manager in Patient Care areas.

The new MD Anderson Children's cancer hospital is going is planning on getting a major renovation in two to three years.

But, I thought we could think about collecting $ to install a new fish tank on the children's wing sooner than the two or three years.

Everyone knows how kids love aquariums, so how nice would it be if we (this forum body) collectively donate $ to the sick kids!

Here's my thoughts:

I will call ADG and inquire on their interest in providing their expertise and $.
    If ADG agrees, all monies collected would go straight to ADG into some form of escrow account until such time enough monies are collected to provide a nice kid friendly tank.

I will meet with Children's Nursing staff and management to determine where in their floor would a tank be placed. I have a few good ideas already. Tank would need to be thick, don't want kids banging into glass with their IV poles, etc and cracking it.

So Admin's and forum members, what do you think?

There is no personal financial gain in this for me, so let's not worry about that. I bet I can even get the hospital to fund some $?

We could get a plaque made and placed next to tank.

Any other ideas? Any volunteers to help raise $?

thats a GREAT idea and i would love to help
    I make people happy

Comment

I love it! Fantastic idea! Let us know what we can do!
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Well, I think I(we) need to speak with ADG-Mike S. first to gauge his interest level. I will handle this if you want? If he agrees, then I suggest we set up a place on this forum to send PayPal donations to ADG or where ever everyone feels most comfortable.

Then we can also solicit our sponsors and individuals forum members. Maybe you can have a poll to determine what type of fish would make most sense for kids to enjoy? Then plan from there?

I am not thinking we get this done anytime real soon. I'm thinking summer sometime would be okay?

I know MD Anderson has a Kids play/craft room and it is fairly large, this might be a good place to put the tank.

Let it be known, if people want, we can do this over at Texas Children's Hospital or where ever, I really have no hidden agenda here, except trying to do something good for sick innocent kids.

So, if the Admin's decision really, since the plaque will say donated by members of the Houston Fishbox and ADG??? I know ADG does a lot of business at MD Anderson, so that is why I thought they would be supportive of this as well. They may do other Kid's hospitals too, so I would leave this up to everyone.

Comment

I would be happy to donate for this
          120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
          180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

I would too. Where is the children's wing? Alkek?
            Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
            Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Yes, on the 7th floor in Alkek. Right now, the Children's wing occupies 1/2 the floor. I believe the long term plan is to have one floor dedicated only to Children and make it more kid friendly. The plan is to make the floor look more like Kid's hospital and not an adult hospital.

Comment

Acrylic might be better than glass? I'm in for donations. This is a great ideal!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Yeah, I thought about acrylic too, but I know it scratches easily. I think this decision will be best made by ADG.

I really want the members here to bring forth ideas as well as the $. I think getting the $ may be easier than determining the who's, what, where's and when?

I know a bunch of vendors/contractors who do a lot of business with MDACC and I'm certain they would be willing to donate. I really just need the support from the Admin's/owner of this forum. I kinda want this project headed up by forum members and I will be the conduit between the forum and MDACC Administrators. Why? Because it should be about the Houston Aquarist's who want to donate their experience and $ to a cause that we all know kids will love!

It might even mean we do a well planted community tank? I don't know? Not sure it would be a good idea of keeping Petro's-a bit too aggressive for kids to see?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawsman View Post
                    I really just need the support from the Admin's/owner of this forum.
                    Um...I'm the forum owner and in post #3 I said...

"I love it! Fantastic idea! Let us know what we can do!"

But officially, here it is....

HFB will do whatever we can to put in place an aquarium for the children's hospital. Those involved in this cause are encouraged to use HFB for communication, organizing, planning, and collecting donations.

I am Imagirlgeek, owner of Houstonfishbox.com, and I approve this message.
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

Got it. Sorry, did not know or remember imagirlgeek was the owner. I apologize.

So, do you want me to contact Mike S. with ADG or do you want to? Probably be best if you make initial contact with him? If he likes the idea, we would then need him to set up a PayPal account? I don't know? Your thoughts?

Thanks so much! I think we can do this!!!!!!

Comment

MB, aka Mzungu, works for ADG. Maybe we can get her help. I'll PM her.
                        Our Fishhouse

Comment

oh yeah!!
                          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Lawsman and I would like to thank all of you that expressed interest in helping with the charity tank for MD Anderson Children's Hospital. However, the owner and administrator of HoustonFishBox.com has decided that they will not support this charitable effort. We thought you should all be aware of this change. The efforts to install the tank will continue without the support of this forum. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
                              Um...I'm the forum owner and in post #3 I said...

"I love it! Fantastic idea! Let us know what we can do!"

But officially, here it is....

HFB will do whatever we can to put in place an aquarium for the children's hospital. Those involved in this cause are encouraged to use HFB for communication, organizing, planning, and collecting donations.

I am Imagirlgeek, owner of Houstonfishbox.com, and I approve this message.
                              Although the support of the forum administration has been withdrawn, members may still wish to participate and help with this project. Those of you who wish to suppport the children's tank, outside of HoustonFishBox.com, can contact us at dalaws@gmail.com. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X