Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion

I recently was kicked-off MotoHouston forum for trying to get them to Ban the sale of "Puppies". Specifically, PitBulls.

I pointed out to them that the owners of the Forum and Admin's were allowing the sale of dogs. Most of people posting had questionable motivations-$$$$$$$$. Puppy Mills!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suggested that the Admin Ban the sale of these questionable puppy sales? Well, I was banned!

I am not a breeder myself, although I have four Doberman's. One is a Champion. Rest did not turn into "show" quality dogs so they were fixed. I know and have seen and read of story's of dog bites or worse. I believe Forum owner's and Admin's have some potential legal liability if a puppy sold on someone's Forum, they will be legally liable as well. Why? Becasue a lawyer will make the argument that forum Admin's "allow'ed" sale of pup causing the harm.

Responsible and legitimate breeders do not list their dog's on forum sites!

So, I suggest we look into banning post of puppy sales. Much like Ebay and Craigslist has done. Why did craigslist and Ebay ban sale of Puppy's? Yep, legal liability$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't think we have anyone posting puppies for sale....do we?
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I believe I did see some puppy's for sale on here? It's just wierd to have puppy's for sale on an aquarist site, let alone the liability?

A lot of forum's ban the sale of Puppy's. However, some allow "livestock" sale. AKC, PETA and many other organizations are very active in banning the sale of puppy's on forums. Wheter we agree on their motivations, or not.

AKC wants to promote AKC "purebreeds"-they get $ each time a litter is registered. Although, most AKC breeders are in fact "puppy mills" PETA, well they do have their place and I do agree with some of their positions.

Again, legitimate respected breeders do not advertise on fish or motorcycle forums? It really is that simple...and it is true forums do open themsleve's up to legal concerns even when they have the caveats written in the "for sale" sections.

Comment

Well, the only place someone could sell a puppy on this forum would be in the Non-Fish For Sale section, and member's must have at least 100 posts to create a thread there. I'm not sure if a puppy mill would go to the effort of creating 100 false posts in order to do that. We have members who have listed their puppy for sale, not because they were running a puppy mill, but because they needed to get rid of their puppy/dog for some reason.

If you happen to run across a thread that is selling puppies from a puppy mill, let me know and I'll take care of it.
        Our Fishhouse

Comment

I think my point is not taken as intended. I will stay away from this topic. I kinda like this site and don't want to get banned nor do I want it to go away for other reasons.

Comment

how is it any different than a newspaper listing ad's for the sale of puppies...or anything else for the matter? I dont see how it is. You mean to tell me that the Houston Chronicle or Baytown Sun or any other local paper would be held accountable if someone was killed by a dog sold in their paper...I highly doubt it. Why so focused on this topic anyhow??? Are you really that sincere about the well being of this forum or the other one you were banned from...Or is there personal gain behind this???
            250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

No. No personal financial gain, if that's what you mean. I am not a dog breeder, so I have no personal financial gain.

I do have some moral concerns. I do care about helpless living animals-same way we all do about our fish? So, if this is what is meant by personal gain, then yes, you are correct.

Reality. No lawyers will probally not go after forum owners. But they will try to name our sponsors. Why? they have the $$$

Comment

wheres myjohnson? this sounds like something that will never happen, but im no lawyer.
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank
                10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I'm sorry if I missed your point as intended. You posted in the Website Feedback, Suggestions, or Questions forum, so I was attempting to address your concern (as it pertains to the function of this website). I scanned the For Sale forum and didn't see any violators, so I asked that you point anyone out who posts in the future attempting to sale puppy mill puppies. I'm not sure what you are looking for. If you want me to create a rule for something that hasn't happened, I'm sorry, but I don't do that. When/If this ever becomes an issue, I'll deal with it. Also, I never suggested that you would be banned...what am I missing here? If you want to have a discussion about the evil of puppy mills, feel free to create a thread in the Lounge. I'm sure there are many HFB'ers who would be glad to post any experiences or opinions, but this forum is not the right location for a discussion.
                  Our Fishhouse

Comment

Yeah, I think this forum is much more concerned about living things. The MotoHouston site was getting a bunch of young kids on there who are breeding and selling "new lines of Pitbulls"? Unfortunately, it probally is the same people who think that wearing motorcycle helmets is okay while doing wheelies down 610.

I'm just trying to make suggestions as thread was labeled. If we want, take away legal liability, then make decisions based on what should and should not be on forums. It's your forum to do with as you like, I understand that.

I like the forum because I have learned a lot about keeping fish and keeping them healthy through filtration and water changes,etc. I see a lot of people here who try very hard to produce fry. In the Troph world-many argue that Hybrid of Troph's is not encouraged. Same thought process applies to other animals and that it is good to look in the mirror sometimes to see what we are doing.

I've read most of the responses of people on this thread and on other threads and have found them to be written by people who seem to care about this hobby of ours. I don't know anyone of them, except some of the Sponsors and people who do business where I work. So, I will not judge anyone I don't know and ask that I not be judged by people who don't know me.

I have stated my point and agree, let's get back to fishkeeping. I need all the help I can get in this new Troph addiction I have

Comment

Huh!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Huh Huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FF

Comment

This is just a bad dream go back to sleep.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Working...
                          X