Praecox eggs - yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praecox eggs - yikes!

I had completely given up on my praecox breeding and recently moved them to another (community) tank.

I was planning to get some fish during lunch to fill the now empty tank. When I was doing a water check, I noticed tiny little white balls attached to the java moss.

I have never seen praecox eggs before, but I am pretty sure that is what I am seeing.

Now what??!!

The only fish in the tank with the eggs is a pit bull pleco which I figure won't bother them. I assume these eggs will hatch fine without a parent fish inside there.

My main concern is care for the newly hatched young, specfically feeding.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

picture

Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

If they hatch, it should happen in about 7 - 14 days, and will continue to hatch for 2 weeks. You can feed the fry liquefied egg yolk or that powdered fry food (First Bites, I think).

I have never owned these fish, this is all just what I have read.
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Woohoo! Hope they are Praecox eggs! Exciting!

You said they were "little white balls." I can't see the picture too well, but how white are they?

How long ago did you move the fish?
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Look just behind and to the right of the black pump intake pipe. I apologize for the blurry photo.

They are kind of milky white in color and they look a little fuzzy to me but they are really hard to see. The diameter of the egg is smaller than the lead in a number 2 pencil.

I moved the fish a few days ago, but I just noticed the eggs today. Like I said, I gave up on them mating after a few weeks of trying.

I have a ton of java in this tank, but I am guessing about 30 eggs.
          Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Hmm... Doesn't sound good. :( They might be infertile or something else might be wrong with them, especially if they're cloudy and fuzzy. :(

Are any of the eggs still clear? If so, remove them ASAP to another clean container. The fungus can and will spread, if that's what it is.
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

A breeder posted this picture of a spawning mop with eggs on it. I have to say mine look pretty much the same.

Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
              X