DIY - Green water and baby brine for breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY - Green water and baby brine for breeding

I am trying to improve my breeding efforts by using green water and baby brine shrimp and I have some questions.

1) Green Water - Can someone direct me to more information about how / when this is used. I also need "do it yourself" instructions for making this.

2) Baby brine shrimp - Is there a simple way to create a continually regenerated supply of these? Alternatively, is there a way to keep these alive in a tank without having a seperate tank dedicated for this purpose.

Thanks.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

green water is used to feed ultra small babies or fry that need to eat constantly. for green water, take a jar fill it 3 quarters of the way. set it on your back porch for a day, then bring it in and put it in the window sill. after about 2 days you will see little things swimming in it, voila! "green water"
    Life's to short to worry and too long to wait
    Its too short not to love everybody, and Life's too long to hate

Comment

Shameless plug.....

If you want to raise brine shrimp, you need saltwater phytoplankton and not just freshwater greenwater. In the article on brine shrimp above I list 2 methods... Method # 2 is more suited for your purpose.

Personally, if your goal is to harvest BABY brine shrimp & not adults, then IMO its simpler to just hatch them out from cysts.

Good Luck!
      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

I found a kit at the LFS which uses an invertated 2 liter soda bottle.

If I already have a goldfish bowl and an extra air pump can I hatch them using that? It seems like the shape of that bottle is rather important.

The kit makes a TON of baby brine from a pre-mixed packet. I only want a small portion to divide up between my tanks each day.
        Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

greenwater is just water with a lot of tiny plants growing in it.
          take some old aquarium water (high in nitrates) or some dechlorinated water with a tablespoon of any plant fertilizer and add a starter culture. Then place it where it gets lots of light.

I use infusoria (tiny critters) to feed my baby bettas the first couple of weeks because they are higher in proteen.

after the first 10 days I feed fresh hatched baby brine shrimp

How much to hatch depends on how often and how many fry you have to feed. My setup will feed 600 - 1000 fry twice a day.
          Last edited by PhishPhreek; 11-20-2009, 04:41 PM.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
            greenwater is just water with a lot of tiny plants growing in it.
            take some old aquarium water (high in nitrates) or some dechlorinated water with a tablespoon of any plant fertilizer and add a starter culture. Then place it where it gets lots of light.

I use infusoria (tiny critters) to feed my baby bettas the first couple of weeks because they are higher in proteen.

after the first 10 days I feed fresh hatched baby brine shrimp

How much to hatch depends on how often and how many fry you have to feed. My setup will feed 600 - 1000 fry twice a day.
            Phreek - How critical is temperature for this? If I keep this in the house I don't think my wife will like it.
            Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
            X