Pond Harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond Harvest

Over the last few weeks I've gotten about 100 zebra danios, 20 giant danios , 30 green swordtails, and 2 koi ( 6") from the pond (& some shrimp). Likely 100 more danios and 2 koi in the pond still in the pond. I believe the dragonfly larva and snake took a significant toll.
    Question; any ideas where to get large fish net ? I have large nets ( 18" diameter and seine ) but these have large mesh which are "gill nets" ,killing danio size fish. I have used tule (from dress fabric) but it rots in a year. (Lack of good net is why I still have fish in the pond- I had to let the grandkids out ;they were getting pretty blue using the regular 8" net
    in the pond ).
    Interesting observation: the zebras came in all sizes but the giant danios were all about adult size- roughly 3".

Originally posted by blacksmith37 View Post
    Over the last few weeks I've gotten about 100 zebra danios, 20 giant danios , 30 green swordtails, and 2 koi ( 6") from the pond (& some shrimp). Likely 100 more danios and 2 koi in the pond still in the pond. I believe the dragonfly larva and snake took a significant toll.
    Question; any ideas where to get large fish net ? I have large nets ( 18" diameter and seine ) but these have large mesh which are "gill nets" ,killing danio size fish. I have used tule (from dress fabric) but it rots in a year. (Lack of good net is why I still have fish in the pond- I had to let the grandkids out ;they were getting pretty blue using the regular 8" net
    in the pond ).
    Interesting observation: the zebras came in all sizes but the giant danios were all about adult size- roughly 3".
    I used to use a minnow seine that I bought from academy. It had the perfect mesh size for small fish.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I may have the same seine (Tournament Choice) . It works for adult swords and giant, but fish about 3/4 to 1.5" long are held. The mesh is 6/inch. I expect commercial hatcherys would use this net; I hate to kill even a few fish.

Comment

Go to a fabric store...like Joann's or Michaels. They have rolls of net like mosquito screen, (holes big enough for a toothpick to go through, but nothing bigger, catches fry real easy) and it is soft that you can make a net or a seine from. Most of it is poly based, and will last awhile if cared for properly.
        BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

I favor the "leaf net" available at most swimming pool supply stores.
          6-9" deep and 30" wide - great for shallow water and with a long handle so you don't have to bend over.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I got some lace type stuff at Walmart; but procrastinated too long -didn't make the net. We got snow today. I covered the pond and put in a 300 watt heater. The water was 53.5 before I added heat.
            Just checked ,temp stopped dropping at 55.0. I am sure 300 w did not warm 800 gal , guess it is some stratification of temperature.
            Last edited by blacksmith37; 12-04-2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

We use these guys to purchase stuff for environmental sampling.

They have a good net section.

Comment

We Specialize in Fishing Nets, Sporting Nets, Commercial Nets, Net Supplies, Rope & Twine Memphis Net & Twine was founded as a fish net company in 1962 and has been a source of fishing netting, fishing nets, rope and twine, and fishing supplies ever since. Beginning in 1988 Memphis Net & Twine began supplying baseball batting cages, baseball backstops, sports backstops, sporting supplies and sporting equipment. Memphis Net & Twine continues to make all types of nets including custom sports nets, industrial nets, aquaculture nets and commercial fishing nets.

I love spell check.

Comment

Thanks ; neat site. It gave me ideas. I have a screen waste basket I used to use for a pond filter, I can turn it into a trap easily.

Comment

pond harvest

my first post
                    my second year with ponds(livebearers and ghostshrimp)
                    ordered from memphis net (3)100ft.-heavy-3/16 .a 25 heavy 3/16
                    and a standerd minnow seine. the heavys are to heavy.
                    orderd a 3/16 light net from douglasnet has a lot better price on all weights. bugges snakes(garder and copper heads)birds,frogs and
                    turttles, all the bugges (those little hard ones eat baby fish) eat
                    fish

Comment

Don't worry about copperheads or garter snakes ;they don't eat fish. My problems are green water snakes (they are actually black) and yellow belly water snakes. Hognose (eats frogs/toads) and coral (eats SNAKES), show up somtimes. I stepped on a copperhead once ( trying not to go for two), I must have caught him where he couldn't turn to bite.
                      I have a lot of trees so no heron /egret problems; but I hear they are usually the biggest fish eaters.

Comment

my garder snakes eat fish.we catch them in the ponds or on dry land. i sell them and i feed them fish and tad poles be fore shippin.we kill copperheads

Comment

Working...
                        X