A warning if you're interested in dwarf puffers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A warning if you're interested in dwarf puffers

For a while now, Aquarium World has had some puffers in a tank and they have "dwarf puffers" written outside of it. I've told them numerous times that these are not dwarf puffers, they're juvenile avocado puffers, but it looks like they won't be changing it.

Now, avocado puffers are really neat especially in that you can usually keep them in a community tank. The problem? These are too young for that. Oddly, avocado puffers start out as serious fin nippers but mellow out as they get older. At the moment, you can get one (even when they're older, it's best to only keep one in your community tank, as you can't sex them and they'll most likely hate each other), but it's best if you keep it by itself in a ten gallon until they get bigger. These definitely need snails and such to keep their beaks worn down.

If you'd prefer to try them immediately in your community (peaceful is best) tank, Fish Gallery keeps them in stock and they're old enough to use.

Anyway, buyer beware.

I'm thinking about making a profile for these, but I haven't actually kept them. You guys think I should anyway? I've done a lot of research.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Is this the puffer you're talking about? There are a couple puffers referred to as 'avocado'.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

thanks for that information Coz.....
      how's eenie and meenie doing?

Comment

imagirlgeek: Oops. Should have checked if there was already a profile. Yeah, I meant golden puffers - it just seems like the name generally used in this area is avocado puffer.

fishlady: They're doing too cute is what. They're still a bit shy, but they do this cute thing where they come out to check on me and I'll look and they'll go behind a leaf, then peak out at me. It just SO adorable. After a moment of me talking to them, they (especially Eenie, oddly) will come out and check me out. And they have come to really dig snails. Remember I told you that their tank had an explosion of pest snails that I was cultivating? After you told me they didn't really have an interest in them, I expected them to be around. They were gone within a week.
        Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

I just created it a couple of days ago. And I call them Avocado's too.
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

I might try to do dwarf puffers, then, if it's not already done.

Comment

That one is done too...but that doesn't mean we can't consolidate information. If you add info that I didn't have, I'll gladly copy it into the relevant area and reference you as the author of the info you provide.
              Our Fishhouse

Comment

Cool. I'll check it out. And credit isn't necessary.

Comment

Yep i bought three of these guys as juveniles from Fish Gallery.

Noticed a few days later that their bellies were really full and my tetras fins were torn to shreads.

Took em back and Don gave me full credit.

I've always wanted to try puffers but this try ended badly.

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
                    Cool. I'll check it out. And credit isn't necessary.
                    I give credit where credit is due...it's how I roll.
                    Our Fishhouse

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                      Noticed a few days later that their bellies were really full and my tetras fins were torn to shreads.
                      I think puffers do the exact opposite of what it is you want them to do. We tried to feed ours guppies (sorry guppy-lovers ) and now we just have a gazillion guppies living fat and happy on bloodworms and sharing tankspace with the puffers. However, I have no doubt that if we were to try to have a fish live peacefully with the puffers in a community setting, the puffers would eat them.
                      Our Fishhouse

Comment

i'm glad to hear that they are doing so well...i miss them alot....but i know they are being well taken care of and loved where they are.....
                        thanks for the update on them....

Comment

Yeah, I went there today. Golden puffers they are, or as the sales person "a differant variaty of dwarf puffer" groan
                          Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

Ahh, yet another example of why scientific names are so very necessary! :)
                            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

P.S. Great info, though. Thanks!
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X