Photo Session with Rhinogobius wui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Session with Rhinogobius wui

I think these guys get a bit more color in the afternoon - they just woke up about an hour ago. They are very curious, but at the same time kinda skittish - so they REALLY want to know what I'm doing, but aren't sure they want to expose themselves. :)

I have about 8 of them in a 29g. A little about this 29 - It has java moss. Some java fern, some Bolbitis, but mainly java moss. And when I say "mainly," I mean mainly. I've been meaning to move all these fish into a newly set up 30 cube, but it has been going through a green water outbreak, and now I'm just waiting for the move so I can just transfer everybody over to the new tank in the new house.

Needless to say, I let the moss run amok.

When the gobies explore out in the open, it's in that front patch of bare Flourite. So that's where I am able to take pictures of them when they stay still enough. :)
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

These are just plain photos - no cropping, no nothing. So sorry for all those real photographers out there. ) I was in a really uncomfortable position for quite a while getting these shots, and I don't feel like working on them any more. :P

Comment

The big goby with the most color and markings - It's strange, but these guys do change color a lot. This one is the only one that's really almost whitish-grey. But the blue on the dorsal comes out later in the day, and also more so when they're above the moss than when they're hiding under in their little alcove. :)

This one is also the one that took the longest to gather up the courage to come out. You can see its face poking through the moss in one of these pictures.

Comment

This one's my favorite. :)

Kinda Halloween-ish. Wanted to get a shot of one of the panda cories in there, and didn't realize I was surrounded by gobies. )

Comment

Apparently their eyes are quite red in the morning, as well. Nothing like that rainbow/bluish color I got previously.

Comment

Great looking pictures MB.

That's a lot of moss! How do you keep it so free of algae?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

I actually like the "run-amok" java moss! What are all those red fish in the top level, foreground?
              Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
              Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                Great looking pictures MB.

That's a lot of moss! How do you keep it so free of algae?
                Thanks, Thai. :)

This tank used to have hair algae problems. But then I put some rosy barbs in there (they were old, and have since passed), there is an Amano shrimp (I've had mixed luck with them eating hair algae) an it was a QT for both Florida Flagfish and Odessa Barbs. I know the Flagfish eat hair algae.

As for just plain old algae on the glass and stuff, a few zebra nerites.

It's a low light tank, and there's enough moss (heehee) to soak up most of the nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by Roujin View Post
                  I actually like the "run-amok" java moss! What are all those red fish in the top level, foreground?
                  Thanks!

The red fish are Odessa Barbs. And one lone swordtail who is about...wow, about 4 or 5 years old. Her companions have passed on one by one, but she's still goin!

This tank is a hodge-podge tank. I've also got about 10 cories, some blue-eyed Rainbows, some Brilliant Rasboras, and some Pentazona barbs in there. Hard to count everyone because of the moss, lol.

Comment

Looks good MB. Maybe you can start some profiles with your fish or Geoffs.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Nice DOF!
                      300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
                      225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
                      210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
                      160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
                      90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
                      90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

great pics of the goby.
                        Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Comment

that male it cool lookin! nice setup!
                          25g - Reef
                          3.5g - Surge Tank
                          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

this is one of my favorites besides the one in the floor...
                            380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                            300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                            180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                            150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus View Post
                              this is one of my favorites besides the one in the floor...
                              You mean my TROPHEUS TANK? )

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X