Culturing white worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culturing white worms

Has anyone cultured whiteworms for food? I think it would be easier than brine, since they dont need a liquid medium, and can be done in plastic containers. I also like the cultures are fed with old bread rather than exotic spirulina. A few questions:

Do the cultures smell funky?

Do they NEED to be refrigerated?
    75 planted (Being Renovated)
    Endlers
    gobies
    lots of nanos

I use powdered baby food. No refrigeration & no noticable smell.
    They require daily TLC misting and more food. So they are hard to keep going as sooner or later you'll want to take a break.

they sink to the bottom and like microworms, may be one of the factors that promote belly sliders.
    I used them successfully last year but as my babies got larger I got careless and lost my culture.

IMHO nothing is easier that brineshrimp
    Last edited by PhishPhreek; 10-26-2009, 01:07 PM.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I think grendels are the easiest. Whiteworms grow well on bread dipped in buttermilk. Not sure what your feeding, but you can also just by nightcrawlers and cut them up.
      Life's to short to worry and too long to wait
      Its too short not to love everybody, and Life's too long to hate

Comment

I kept them in a refridgerator; they did OK (milk+bread), but they reproduced slowly. I guess they would like a temp of 50 to 60F.
        Maybe some oldtimer could tell us how HAS raised them . I understand white worms were the main source of $ for HAS in the 50's & 60's and ?

Comment

Working...
        X