Spotted puffer for $4.95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted puffer for $4.95

Found these at Wal-mart tonight in Meyerland. Don't know anything about them but that seems like a really good deal.

I was ready to buy one but I don't know anything about compatibility for these.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
    Found these at Wal-mart tonight in Meyerland. Don't know anything about them but that seems like a really good deal.

i could be wrong, but i think they have to be kept alone
    I make people happy

Comment

They do not do well in fresh water at all. They need brackish or salt water. They do best alone, or with fish that can put up with them, like Jade Gobys or Scats.
      I try not to buy fish from Walmart. Not that I am anti-Walmart, far from it. Just those fish are so stressed from customers, their kids, and the employees not knowing any better.
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
        They do not do well in fresh water at all. They need brackish or salt water. They do best alone, or with fish that can put up with them, like Jade Gobys or Scats.
        I try not to buy fish from Walmart. Not that I am anti-Walmart, far from it. Just those fish are so stressed from customers, their kids, and the employees not knowing any better.

GSP (green spotted puffers) are known for being nasty little fin nippers. I do try to avoid walmart fish just for the reason that no one really "takes care" of the fish. I live by the walmart at BW8/I10 and their fish look terrible. most of the tanks are empty and the other ones usually have dead or wrong fish in them... and their prices aren't even that good.. hell, petsmart or petco are cheaper w/ better livestock.
        ‎Haiku's are easy
        But sometimes they don't make sense
        Refrigerator

Comment

The sad thing is that, back in the 70's when I was growing up, Woolco, Woolworths, K-Mart, and TG&Y (a store kinda like Big Lots) all sold fish (along with birds and small mammals) and I do not recall those fish being in such horrid conditions as the Modern day Walmart. I guess the store workers back then actually cared.
          PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I was just talking to my wife about this and she worked for walmart for a long time. she said the fish are just lumped in w/ the pet and other dry goods. In some of the larger, nicer stores someone is actually responsible for them but in most of them it's who ever the manger chooses that day, if they remember. which means today it's a cashier fedding the fish and cleaning the tanks... tomorrow it's the girl from electronics. she even told me that one time she even worked for a manger who hated having the fish so much that he never had anyone take care of them... he would just let the new arrivals and count it as shrink(loss). appearantly this is very common practice within the company too.
            ‎Haiku's are easy
            But sometimes they don't make sense
            Refrigerator

Comment

It isn't the place I go for fish either. We were getting dog food and my son spotted the puffers. In their defense, the sign mentioned fin nipping and adding salt. At least the guy making the sign knows how to care for them...
              Jarrod - Houston, Texas
              150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
              17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
              5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
              3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post

Don't buy anything from there it will die in hours!!!
                10g Community Planted Aquarium
                10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
                20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
                YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

Originally posted by makatak123 View Post
                  And then you take it back and get a new one... over and over... great place to shop for anyone who likes fish but doesn't actually want one that will live long enough to have to take care of it...

on the other hand... I have a fantail goldfish that I was charged the feeder fish price for and its still kicking after a few months... thats the upside of having people handle fish they are clueless about! I also spent almost a whole lunch break watching a parrot cichlid being a bully that had somehow been put into the gold fantail tank
                  135 gal Fahaka Puffer
                  150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
                  185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Originally posted by makatak123 View Post
                    +1

one night i attempted to "save" a spotted puffer from Walmart and i put it in a tank all by himself. I came back the next morning and he was fighting for life. I tried to add oxygen and that jazz but he was dead in minutes.
                    If it ain't wild caught
                    You ain't doing it right

Comment

Working...
                    X