Molly breeding update with photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molly breeding update with photo

I am thinking that breeding might add a little something exciting to this hobby for me. I know nothing about this. It sounds like some species might be really easy to breed. Here are my questions.

What species is relatively easy to breed?
    Do you have to have a tank just for breeding or will a community tank be ok?
    Does the tank have to be set up differently for a breeding operation?
    Last edited by jarrodaden; 11-09-2009, 11:42 PM.
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

live bearers (guppies, platies, mollies swordtails) all really easy to breed. Basically get 1Male for 2Females. You can keep in a community setup, but some babies may be eaten. Plants help too, nothing special, just some java moss and floating plants

Convicts are really easy to breed

Comment

380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
        I am thinking that breeding might add a little something exciting to this hobby for me. I know nothing about this. It sounds like some species might be really easy to breed. Here are my questions.

What species is relatively easy to breed?
        Do you have to have a tank just for breeding or will a community tank be ok?
        Does the tank have to be set up differently for a breeding operation?
        1.Any of the livebearers are obviously easy, so are bristlenose plecos, and most shrimp just kinda do there thing without much involvment.

2.I breed mine in a community tank..example- I have one strain of guppy or endler with one strain of either platy or swordtail, and a pair or trio of one color/kind of bristlenose pleco. That way the tanks are nice to look at, but very functional too.

3.Mine don't, but some fishes can be a bit more to prep for breeding, and need more in or out of the tank. The other thing would be to have a grow out tank for what ever you are breeding...i.e. plecos will need grow out room, livebearers not so much...

My suggestion, start with something easy, that if you don't like, you aren't out a lot of dough for buying in the first place. Try this first...then find out if it is something you want to get more involved with or not. And don't get something that you can't get rid of the babies...CONVICTS are BAD unless you have something to feed the babies to :) I hope this helps.
        BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

alot of live bearers you dont even need the male. once the female is pregnant she will continue to produce babies.
          fishless

Comment

I prefer a separate tank for breeding but you can do a community too as long as the other fish dont pose a threat to the breeding process.

live bearers are easy but i suggest you attempt to breed a fish you are interested in...i love geos and that why i breed red humps...which are easy to breed as well

the tank should be set up to suit breeding conditions for the fish you choose and i like a separate, bare bottom 10g for my fry
            I make people happy

Comment

How easy you want,

look up these fish.

Neolamprologus brichardi
              neolamprologus caudopunctatus
              dicrossus filamentosus
              or most of the appistogramma sp.

Although I have never done appistogramma, I just set up a tank and I am now trying to decide which ones I want, I like the caucatoides but they are expensive.
              Life's to short to worry and too long to wait
              Its too short not to love everybody, and Life's too long to hate

Comment

Here goes nothing....

I ended up with gold mollies because there was a problem at the LFS with fancy guppies. The tank is cycled and stocked...

Time to turn on the black light and a little Barry White and wait for the magic to happen. :)
                Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Here goes nothing....

I ended up with gold mollies because there was a problem at the LFS with fancy guppies. The tank is cycled and stocked...

Time to turn on the black light and a little Barry White and wait for the magic to happen. :)
                  I bet you they did it on the ride home....lol...no music needed

Comment

Ewwww, gross!!! At least wait for the lights to go off! LOL.
                    Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Ewwww, gross!!! At least wait for the lights to go off! LOL.
                      They are VERY public about it....

Comment

lol let us know how it goes...if you like breeding fish and wanna try something else ill be glad to set you up with some nice geos...mine are multiplying lol
                        I make people happy

Comment

How long do livebearers typically hold sperm?

I went to Petco yesterday and got a very gravid Neon Swordtail. The moment I put her in my tank she gave birth. Will she do it again without a male?
                          Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
                          Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Originally posted by Roujin View Post
                            How long do livebearers typically hold sperm?

I went to Petco yesterday and got a very gravid Neon Swordtail. The moment I put her in my tank she gave birth. Will she do it again without a male?
                            They can hold for up to 5 drops of babies, average is 2.

Comment

I bought two females with a "mighty" bulge. On one, you can see the eyeballs. I will definitely have babies in the next few days.
                              Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X