unexpected fry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unexpected fry

I was checking out my tanks this morning and in my 20 gallon was surprised to see little bitty fry swimming around at the bottom. I only saw three, but I kinda accidentally caused one of them to get eaten (sorry, little dude). I think they're from one of my veil fin danios. I think one is decidedly thinner than it was yesterday. The guys left are a little too small for me to catch for the breeder trap (but I guess I'll give it a try with my shrimp net after posting this), but maybe they'll get lucky.

What's trippy is that I see in the same tank another rather fat danio, as well as a white cloud with a bulging belly. A plump Von Rio tetra and harlequin rasbora in my 29 gallon, too. Not sure if I can trigger spawning with those, but I figure I must be doing something right, eh? All this aside from from my guppies and the female platy (AGAIN) being past due.

You know, this is kinda fun. Guess I should start figuring out how to decide when to watch for laying or when to put a livebearing momma in the breeder trap.

Wish me luck, guys.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

good luck....
    and congrats on the wigglers.....

Comment

Thanks. I managed to get the two into the trap. I think those were the only ones left, but I'll keep checking.
      Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

One more! And they're diggin' the First Bites. YAR!

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

So...are they danios? What other fish are in this tank? White Clouds, you said - anything else?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well, there are the guppies, but both females are still obviously pregnant. And, of course, there's the betta, but if they're his this is a miracle of biblical proportions.

As I said, one of the danios looks thinner. Also, these babies are yellowish - which matches the danio I'm talking about, though I realize that doesn't really say much.

Guess I'll have to wait until they're older. Considering the danios and white clouds are related, do I have to worry about raising them differently?

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
              Well, there are the guppies, but both females are still obviously pregnant. And, of course, there's the betta, but if they're his this is a miracle of biblical proportions.

As I said, one of the danios looks thinner. Also, these babies are yellowish - which matches the danio I'm talking about, though I realize that doesn't really say much.

Guess I'll have to wait until they're older. Considering the danios and white clouds are related, do I have to worry about raising them differently?

Danio fry are tiny tiny tiny......and when first born/hatched will stick to the glass and plants. Sounds like one of the livebearers fry, especially if its free swimming. You may have just caught one of the first born...and there are more to come.
              BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

NICE! congrats
                I make people happy

Comment

lmrc (hope you don't mind that, lol): These are tiny. I barely saw them. That's why I used the shrimp net - they would have gotten through the regular ones. And they were swimming around, but only on the substrate. Still, I'll go check the guppies again and look for more fry.

And thanks, Mark.

Comment

Considering the danios and white clouds are related, do I have to worry about raising them differently?
                    What do you mean by "related?"

And again, congrats on the mystery fry!! :)
                    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Aren't they both types of minnows? I usually see them lumped together in the categories at fish info sites and retailers.

Comment

danios and white clouds are cousins
                        Life's to short to worry and too long to wait
                        Its too short not to love everybody, and Life's too long to hate

Comment

lmrc (hope you don't mind that, lol): These are tiny. I barely saw them. That's why I used the shrimp net - they would have gotten through the regular ones. And they were swimming around, but only on the substrate. Still, I'll go check the guppies again and look for more fry.

And thanks, Mark.
                          Nope don't mind..its easier for ya'll then the full name....lmrc or lil is typical. In my experience the danio fry are not free swimming for about 4-5 days or more, and you just about have to have a magnafying glass to see them....But if they have been in there for awhile it is possible they are danio.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's just possible that one of the female guppies is looking a little thinner (hard to tell). I'm keeping an eye out, but I haven't seen any more than the three.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's just possible that one of the female guppies is looking a little thinner (hard to tell). I'm keeping an eye out, but I haven't seen any more than the three.
                              considering the tank mates...most will prolly get eaten. the betta, and the danio will eat anything in their path. I know my one female betta will hunt out babies if she can, the other, could give a care less.

Comment

Working...
                              X