Catching ghost shrimp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching ghost shrimp?

I catch shrimp in the canals around the house with a small mesh dip net.My question is does any body make a trap or have plans on how to make one and what for bait?

i think if yo cut the top off a bottle and invert it, glue or silicone it back on and stick some bait then you could catch some. They will have an easy time getting in but harder time getting out

As for bait I am not too sure but perhaps shrimp pellets or something similar

Comment

check with fish & wildlife about a licence / permit & limits (number you are allowed to take per day)

Academy sells a nice 2 part plastic minnow trap.
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by Somefishguy View Post
        i think if yo cut the top off a bottle and invert it, glue or silicone it back on and stick some bait then you could catch some. They will have an easy time getting in but harder time getting out

As for bait I am not too sure but perhaps shrimp pellets or something similar
        they sell glass minnow trap that looks just like that in the stores... like 5 bucks i think

Comment

Does anybody know what would attract them?

Comment

Originally posted by mahoro View Post
            they sell glass minnow trap that looks just like that in the stores... like 5 bucks i think
            Where did you see them selling at?
            -125 gallons: 1 SR Arowana, 1 red tail giant gouramy, 1 Giraffe Catfish.

-55 gallons: 18 clown loaches, 28 corydoras, 2 golden algae eaters, 3 moonlight gouramies, 6 tiger barbs.

Comment

THey are shrimp.. they will eat just about anything..but so will a lot of things found in creeks, streams and ditches around here. I would throw in shrimp pellets or large cichlid pellets or even a piece of shrimp or crackers, or even an algae wafer. Those are all things my shrimp of any color like to eat.
              5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
              20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
              29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
              29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
              29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
              55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
              75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
              / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Try dog food. It worked for chating killies out of my pond.

Comment

where do you guys live because in pond and streams there are only bass,minows,and perch and some kind of needle fish.
                  10g Community Planted Aquarium
                  10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                  55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                  20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
                  20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
                  YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

I have never seen the needle fish, were are they?

There also Gambisa afinis everywere.

Comment

Needle fish as in gar?
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

i dont know if they are gar or not there like a nettle fish but bigger with black spots on them and its in hempstead.
                        10g Community Planted Aquarium
                        10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
                        55g Saltwater Aquarium-
                        20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
                        20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
                        YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

My pond dried up this summer with no rain and killed all my sunfish largemouth and warmouths but them stupid minnows or gambisa made it.No needle or killies might have got eaten if there ever was.

Comment

What are you going to do with them. I haven't eaten any since I was in China 15yr ago ("dancing shrimp"). I never see them on menus here.

Comment

ghost shrimp right? just buy some the are usually 15-20 for a buck at any fish store if you are going to buy a $5 trap that's like buying 100 from the store

Comment

Working...
                              X