kicking out the roommate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kicking out the roommate

This actually happened a few days ago and it just now occurred to me to post about it.

One of my bettas, Captain Peacock, is in a small, 2.65 gallon tank and I had a little blue mystery snail in there to handle any algae that might come along.

So, on this certain day, I went to visit the Captain and he came to the front to greet me as usual. After a moment, he turned slightly and flared big time. "What's the matter with you," I asked him. He turned back to me, no longer flaring. He then turned again and swam forward a bit, making me notice the snail. The betta was flaring again. He then looked back at me and stopped flaring. I bent to take a closer look at the snail - it was hanging out on the side of the tank, obviously not dead or anything. When I looked back at the Captain, he abandoned all subtlety and turned to the snail, flared and poked its shell with his nose.

I got the point. I took the snail out and moved it to another tank. Both betta and snail are doing fine.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

I had a betta a couple years ago that had that exact same temperament towards a large Ramshorn snail I put in his tank to take care of algae. It wasn't anything fancy like your mystery snail, just your run-of-the-mill pest snail (large, though). So he stayed, eventually I believe being eaten by my betta. But it was funny to watch! I kept the snail in there because I was afraid my betta was bored without it. Plus, he always had a shell into which to retreat.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

lol... didn't think about the possibility of boredom. I'll keep an eye out for if I need to piss him off.
      Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

Get him a betta toy.
        BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

I keep forgetting about that! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
            I keep forgetting about that! Thanks.
            Your Welcome....I know even my two female bettas like to play with the toys too!) Toys are fun!)

Comment

I was thinking about the floating ball with the mirror. Is that what you're talking about?

Does that mean females flare at each other?

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
                I was thinking about the floating ball with the mirror. Is that what you're talking about?

Does that mean females flare at each other?
                mirrors, snails, my one female will flare, the other just bumps the snails around. They both seem to enjoy the mirror though....

Comment

Are these run of the mill bettas like petco has that have such personalities?My gf has been wanting 1 and i have been reluctant 2 get 1.Can they be in a tank with anything else just or fly solo?

Comment

From what I've seen, any betta can have a huge personality (I've yet to hear of one that doesn't).

I lucked out with Miyamoto - you usually can't keep male bettas with any other fish. I've heard of others doing it, but if you want to try, I suggest having a separate tank for it for if things Go Wrong.

Females may or may not be a different story. I've yet to get a clear picture on that. It might be a similar point of personality. Someone else will be able to tell you better.

Comment

Working...
                    X