can't find much info on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't find much info on this

I woke up this morning to find one of my harlequin rasboras with a swollen belly (that answers my question about whether the recent behavior I've seen was a dominance thing or mating). How soon should I put her in a breeder trap?
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

not sure since im not familiar with breeding smal fish but i think the trap would be useless if you dont have the male in there. i think the eggs are fertilized as they release them.
    fishless

Comment

Yeah... just got that from wikipedia, of all places.

In that case, I'll probably find them under a leaf of my red crypt (the only broad leaf in there). I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks.
      Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

Huh, interesting. I always thought they were egg scatterers? What else is in the tank with them?

I would keep a sharp eye out in the morning hours. Fish eggs are a delicacy in almost every tank.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

A dwarf gourami, two platies (recent parents themselves), a Boesemani rainbow and a gold dojo.

And reading wikipedia tells me they breed in a really strange way. I'll get the link.

Thanks for the tip about the morning hours. I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Comment

That's right! Now I remember - and someone has even posted pictures of their Harlequins spawning and the eggs here on HFB. Thanks for the link, too! :)

Comment

If they do spawn, what are your plans? Just curious. :)

Comment

Well, no pictures, but here's another thread:

Want to breed your fish? Let's talk about it here. Tips, Tricks, Know-How.

Comment

In the above linked thread, there was a link to another thread by finfan, but it wasn't working for me. So, if it's not working for you, here's the thread:

Aquatic plants and their specialized setups: identification, care, lighting, nutrients, CO2, aquascaping...

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the links.

If they spawn AND I catch it before they're eaten AND I manage to keep some of them alive, I won't have room to keep them (well, maybe add two to the current school of six). So if that all works out, I'll pass 'em around like candy. (I read they lay around 80 to 100 eggs... scary thought even if I only manage to keep a quarter of them alive.)

Comment

Did you have any luck? Mine do the naughty dance all the time. But i never can catch the eggs fast enough:( It happens so fast i usually miss it.
                      sigpic

Comment

T.heteromorpha (aka Rasbora heteromorpha=harlequins) usually lay eggs at the bottom of plants (or plastic) of plant leaves, males chase the female and fertilize them along the way. After spawning several hours they go hunting for whatever eggs they can find and eat them. pH should be around 5-6, soft water. Mine would spawn all the time in a heavily planted tank (cryps and java fern), I'd see fry but I could never raise them to adulthood. I wouldn'tput them in a breeder that you hang on the side (too small- need room for courtship). Some people put them in bare bottoms with neting at the bottom raised about 1/2 inch so that they cant get to the eggs that fall down (though they are not really egg scatterers- they just aren't good at laying the eggs on leaves). Good luck
                        Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                        X