Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puffer burned his eye on my heater!

hey guys!

just picked up a fahaka puffer and he just burned his eyes on my heater!!

now his eyes has those white cloudy look

anything i can do??

thanks!!

how did he burn it on the heater?

Your heater is under water, I figure it can't get as hot as to burn something.

Maybe he just swam into really hard.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

sounds like you picked the ...well...slow one! I bet it was like...ahh this feels kinda warm on my eye. you know what...this kinda feels good, I think Im gonna stay here for a while. Wait a minute...this is getting pretty hot. You smell that? what is that? oh man my eye is starting to hurt...what the hell is that smell! AHHHH my eye is burnt! HAHAHA, that must of been my bad eye...lets see if it will do it to the other one too... like I said...Slow!
      250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Wow, that puffer was barred out maybe.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Sounds like he should have been in the remedial tank, or at least wearing a helmet
          120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
          180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

puffer football?

I would how it looks when two puffers fight?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Heaters still get super hot in water... especially if they are low quality or just malfunctioning.

I seen it happen before..

Hopefully it's just a surface wound and nothing scarring... well if it does then yeah, maybe that puffer isn't too much on the bright side.

What others have done is put a makeshift cage around the heater with some sort of sleeve or pvc. Never really encountered this problem with heaters in the sump.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Is it both eyes, or just one?

Are you sure he burned it on the heater? Maybe he has an eye infection - the eye can appear cloudy due to several things. Did you actually see this happen? From where did you get the puffer? Was he healthy looking when you bought him?
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Keep in mind that Fahaka puffers naturally have a white-ish haze on the eyes from certain angles. When you look at his eyes straight on, is it still white?
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

yeh it was clear when i picked him up...like it had a reddish tint to his eyes

and yes its on both eyes!!!

he seems to be doing ok though...

yeh i need to get those "heater sleeves"...

weird thing is my heater sits at the top of the tank too...
                    Last edited by madehtsobi; 09-25-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I would almost bet he didn't burn burn both eyes on the heater. Someone here will be able to tell you how to treat his cloudy eye or whatever ailment it is.
                      5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                      20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                      29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                      29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                      29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                      55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                      75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                      / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

all my other fishes in there have been doing fine....

weird....

Comment

Is the cornea cloudy or does the whole eye look opaqueness?
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

from what i remember this morning its just the cornea thats liek cloudy and its pretty white...not cloudy really...

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post

Are you sure he burned it on the heater? Maybe he has an eye infection - the eye can appear cloudy due to several things.

Did you actually see this happen?

From where did you get the puffer?
                              I'm curious as to how you deduced the heater was the culprit...
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X