Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Fahaka Coming

K, guys, I think I am going to do it.

I have a 70 gallon cube, HAW had some 3-4 inch fahaka's, I think I am going to do it, however, I have a question.

There are hundreds, I mean Hundreds of MTS, Pond Snails, and Red Ramshorn Snails in this tank. It was a live bearer tank, and I still have baby guppies, mollies, and platties in it. Should I remove as many of the snails as possible or just leave them in there, and the new puffer will eat as he goes?

Thanks,
    Shaun
    Soon to have tanks up and going again!

I say let him go to town. Just watch out for it over eating and creating a lot of detritus.

Comment

+1

Those snails won't be around for long!!
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

k, so should I move a bunch to my 46 gallon bowfront, to start growing??? i don't particularly want pond snails in there.....

Comment

If you want to keep some snails to reproduce, I'd say yes...move some out. Because, seriously, your puffer will wipe out what's in there in no time.
          Our Fishhouse

Comment

They had a fahaka on craigslist for $120....
            He was 6"
            They are so cool looking.....
            5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
            20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
            29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
            29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
            29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
            55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
            75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
            / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Be warned MTS can break puffer teeth. I would feel more comfortable giving MTS to larger fahakas as opposed to the little ones.
              Karen

Comment

k, so then should i just take out all of the gravel, put it in a big round rubber maid wash tub, get an air pump and a sponge filter, and put a heater in there, and just keep it in my office, with light, and feed shrimp pellets and let them start producing.....

also, wouldn't crayfish let them file down their teeth?

Comment

I am getting the one off of craigslist.....

Comment

Oh I don't know anything about it... I just saw the pics and it looked great. Good luck
                    5.5 fw fluval chi - class N top bar snake chested endlers/ red marble bn/ 4 stripe RCS/ pumpkin shrimp
                    20 sw cube - a few damsels and a colony of bristleworms
                    29 fw - self cloning crayfish..which can't seem to clone haha
                    29 fw - mollies / albino bristlenose / ghost shrimp and snowball shrimp/ glo danios
                    29 fw - crs/ amano/tiger shrimp /assassins/ whiptails/ plants/ 3 emerald cories
                    55 fw - steatocranus casaurius (20ish)/ tetras/ rainbows/large Jack Dempsey
                    75 fw - large Jack Dempseys / pictus cat/ yoyo loach/ Red gippicep
                    / 10+" oscar/ parrot

Comment

Originally posted by cms6175 View Post
                      also, wouldn't crayfish let them file down their teeth?
                      Yes, but variety is good.

I have 2 fahakas and they both take out MTS like their shells were as thin as an M&M candy coating.
                      Our Fishhouse

Comment

how big are your fahaka's?

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
                        Yes, but variety is good.

I have 2 fahakas and they both take out MTS like their shells were as thin as an M&M candy coating.

Comment

if your getting the 6" fahaka, you would have no problem letting it eat MTS....if you get the little guy then i would wait until it's bigger. if it breaks a tooth on something that hard it can get infected and not be able to eat at all....
                          but the bigger fahaka's can tear those up.....

but give it variety....i wouldn't let it stuff on the snails alone....get it some clams, mussels, squid, crab....if you purchase any of this at the store then please freeze it to kill the bacteria first, get some vita chem and add a few drops along with some tank water to thaw it and then feed it....

good luck, they are quite personable after they get used to you....i have one that i've had almost a year now and he's awesome....

Comment

Originally posted by cms6175 View Post
                            how big are your fahaka's?
                            Beaker is about 6".
                            Homer is about 12"+.
                            Our Fishhouse

Comment

Working...
                            X