I just brought home the cutest little guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just brought home the cutest little guy

Well, okay, I just came back from Fish Gallery. I had a couple of final additions to finish my latest tank and I figured that would be it. When I got there, I asked the guy there (a real sweetheart) to put a little food in the tank for me and they all went nicely nuts over it, lol. Now, I had thought that I would have to buy boesemani rainbows in pairs, but he told me I could get one and informed me even that the price had gone down.

But something caught my eye in that tank. They also had some small gold dojos/weather loaches in there. Now, I haven't read up much on loaches as, for one, I don't have a tank large enough and, for another, I simply hadn't gotten around to it. But there was one in there who really stood out. He has a spinal deformity and almost looks "broken", but this doesn't seem to bother him one bit. He was just as active and everything as the other loaches in there. I instantly fell in love. I told the guy that since I was spending much less than I had planned, I'd take that little guy home with me. To my surprise, he gave it to me for free! He said that no one else would have bought it anyway (which I think is sad).

Right now, he's small enough for the 29 gallon he's in (even if he's stretching the limit on how many fish I should have in there). I would be surprised if his future growth didn't turn out to be stunted (though I'm prepared to be wrong). In any case, I'll have larger tanks long before things get uncomfortable.

Well, I've got a lot of reading to do. Any helpful hints would be appreciated, though.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

I like dojo loaches a lot! The gold ones stay pretty small and should be fine in a 29. They do better in groups tho...

Comment

It is fun to watch them when a storm comes in...

:)
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

JStrider: how much of a group does he need? Would one more be okay until I set up my next tank? I'll have to do extra water changes at the least, but that won't be a problem.

armthehomeless: I read about that. It's going to be nice having my own little weatherman. lol
        Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

Not to be the bearer of bad news but that spinal curve could be Fish TB so I would be a bit careful adding to your extablished tank.
          Life's to short to worry and too long to wait
          Its too short not to love everybody, and Life's too long to hate

Comment

I remember reading 3.

they are good with goldfish... non aggressive and cold water...

Comment

i got 1 and hes cool hasnt grown much in a year bout 3inches long or so.get some pool sand and put some in an area mine loves to burry himself with just wiskers stickin out and something he can hide under like a hollow log with no bottom.they act crazy way before a storm comes like days before.hope you enjoy him and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
                ...the guy there (a real sweetheart)...
                There are a lot of nice staff there, but it sounds like you might have met Kevin. That guy is very helpful, knowledgeable, and patient. As a newb, I buried that guy with questions. He always had the answers...

I always ask for him by name when I go there.

You will love the loach. I don't have the weather loach but they seem similar enough to the ones that I own. Mine are especially fun during feeding.
                Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

I went to look on youtube for the weather loach and there were tons of "pleco eats cucumber" videos. Is that safe to feed cucumbers?
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

it is perfectly fine for plecos to eat cucumbers. Just peal them, and put them in a bowl with water for a few seconds to blanch them. Make sure you cool it down before you add to the tank

Comment

Originally posted by Gapzero View Post
                      Not to be the bearer of bad news but that spinal curve could be Fish TB so I would be a bit careful adding to your extablished tank.
                      When I got him, he had already been in the tank at the store for a few weeks. There were both dojos and Boesemani rainbows in the tank, so I figured it was safe by that time.

And they did get him that way.

Comment

Originally posted by JStrider View Post
                        I remember reading 3.

they are good with goldfish... non aggressive and cold water...
                        THANK you! I was actually wondering about that. There are so many sites that say to always keep goldfish alone, but the more I read about gold dojos, the more I wondered why they didn't suggest that as a possible tank mate.

When I get my bigger tank next month, they're going in there with the goldies. (I did get two more dojos for company.)

Comment

You guys are right about me loving the little guys. They have little puppy dog faces and seem to love attention.

Jarodaden: is that the older guy? That's who I talked to. The younger guys there in freshwater are also great. Couldn't say about the saltwater. Not too impressed with the counter staff, though, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by OrandaMan View Post
                            You guys are right about me loving the little guys. They have little puppy dog faces and seem to love attention.

Jarodaden: is that the older guy? That's who I talked to. The younger guys there in freshwater are also great. Couldn't say about the saltwater. Not too impressed with the counter staff, though, lol.
                            The older guy is super nice too and extremely knowledgeable. I think he is part of the ownership. Kevin is a younger guy with really short hair.
                            Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

I kind of figured he's a partner, considering that he could make a decision to give me a fish for free.

I'll keep an eye out for Kevin, too. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X