X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NLS in Houston

Originally posted by gotticgs View Post
    no nls at the lfs on the northside that I know of = pain for me

i know of one lfs on the nw side that carries nls.
    i get mine there everytime.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Originally posted by semper View Post
    he does not carry NLS

alex beleives nls is overglorified.
    when i worked there, i asked why he doesnt carry it or even feed it, and he stated that he knows the creator of nls, and that it is basically a 'fake'
    if you will.

he only feeds his trophs and petros hikari cichlid excel and aquariun tropical flakes.
    i love aquarian flakes, but cichlid excel sucks imo.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
      when i worked there, i asked why he doesnt carry it or even feed it, and he stated that he knows the creator of nls, and that it is basically a 'fake'
      if you will.

he only feeds his trophs and petros hikari cichlid excel and aquariun tropical flakes.
      i love aquarian flakes, but cichlid excel sucks imo.
      i dont know the creator but i also believe its overglorified
      fishless

Comment

Originally posted by TaTeR ToT View Post
        if you will.
        I emailed Pablo Tepoot 4-5 times asking about some studies I was reading regarding garlic and it's effect on fish health. Dude actually spent time to answer my questions. And, most importantly, when he didn't know the answer he out right said, "sorry I have not conducted the studies needed to make a conclusive statement about that...."

Stand up guy to me and I have no problem with NLS.

Here is a link that might help.

I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Buy NLS from EBAY!

5lb bucket for $45

Comment

A little long but good info from Laif Demason

Why not buy your basic fish food in bulk? Retailer — purchase in bulk and repackage as your store’s special brand name. Breeders — why not purchase in larger quantities and split it with other local cichlid hobbyists to keep your costs down? Believe it or not there are some fish food “manufacturers” who merely buy 50 lb bags of stock items from various feed mills and turn around and repackage that same food under their name brand label. You can do the same as the big guys!!! Why not make a profit and reduce your fish food cost by buying in bulk? There are many feed mills across the United States and Canada who manufacture pellet feed in 50 lbs bags. The cost for these fifty pound bags are only $25.00 to $60.00 per bag and can be shipped UPS for an additional $15.00 or $20.00. Therefore, you would be buying for feed for approximately $1.50 a pound, not the usual $5.00 per pound or more!

Most feed mills use a hundred different feed formulas for all sort of aquatic animals, most of which has been formulated by the US government. You will only need to find those feed manufacturers that specializes in ornamental fish food diets that are good for goldfish or koi (but are sinking and a standard stock item). If you find a diet that is not a standard stock item, you may need to buy larger quantities to be able to purchase these diets. Cichlids have a wide variety of feeding habits, but as a general rule for color and health, a feed formula similar to goldfish or koi pellet will be acceptable. The key ingredients that you need outside of the percentages of fat and protein mentioned above and some sort of spirulina and krill at 1%, 2%, or 3% levels. With the crustaceans such as krill and algae such as spirulina, these two items will bring to life all the natural colors of your fish after just a week or so. Most manufacturers incorporate extra vitamins and minerals in their feeds. One feed mill that has done a lot a work with tropical fish farms in Florida is Nelson Silvercup. They manufacture a feed called “Scientific 3 Pigment” (62% protein, 9% fat) which is specially designed for ornamental fish and is available is a small size pellet. Nelson Silvercup can be on the more expensive side, however the benefits definitely out weight the costs and this should be a first choice. Nelson Silvercup can be reached at www.silvercup.com or telephone (801) 262-2991. Other fish feed manufacturers that could carry either a sinking goldfish pellet or tilapia diet with spirulina and krill would be the following: Burris Feeds www.burrismill.com, Southern States www.SouthernStates.com, Rangen Feeds 1-800-657-6446.
            Just go on the web and surf the feed manufacturers and find something your fish are going to relish and you may even make a profit from. Most manufacturers will send you samples for you to try, just ask! Please understanding this will take some time. However, the pay off will be well worth it — educationally and hopefully profitable. Remember: The best advise is that fish cannot live off a single diet nor be consistently overfed. They need variety for breeding, health, and growth; and they need it sparingly to reduce bloating. GOOD LUCK!

PS: A popular German cichlid color food in the 1980’s was actually Grand Champion Fish Foods – a koi diet!

There is Rangen mill that produces fish food down here in Angleton (stinks to high heaven). After reading this I am considering going straight to the source.
            Last edited by Gene D; 09-13-2009, 06:09 PM. Reason: Did not copy in entirety
            120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
            180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

Edit bump -

Sorry I did not copy the beginning of the story due to length. It would seem to me that with as many cichlid keepers as we have on this forum we could get together on a bulk buy. As I stated earlier there is a Rangen Feeds mill here in Angleton about a 60 mile drive for most of you. If we go in on a group buy I could load it in my truck and meet those interested in a central Houston location (LFS, Mall, Etc.)
              120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
              180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

start a thread here might get you more action on a group buy.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

like mike said NLS Is the Devil
                  Tropheus Elitist Maximus
                  150 Troph & Petro mix Link
                  ** P.Trewavasae P.F.Chimba P.M.green **
                  ** T.Zongwe**

150 Tropheus Moorii "Murago" Link

Comment

Too bad no one in Houston is really carrying 5lb buckets for sale...otherwise they would have so much market from all of us.
                    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Diablo!!!

Comment

hmmmm... I might be able to change that if people are serious about it.

What is avg cost of a 5lb bucket?

Comment

$40-50 a bucket depending on volume of the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Delock View Post
                            hmmmm... I might be able to change that if people are serious about it.

What is avg cost of a 5lb bucket?
                            I think somewhere aroun $50 is the internet price.
                            300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

I always gets mine for 40 each.

make it happen D!
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X