Big Thicket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Thicket

AEH (Aquatic Enthusiasts of Houston) made a trip to the Big Thicket National Preserve last Friday (8/7/09) in hopes to locate Eriocaulon compressum (Flattened Pipewort) among the other interesting aspects of this biotope. Among those in attendance were Dave (Davemonkey), Darren (mudboots) and his son and me (kwc1974). Unfortunately we did not find E. compressum, but literally minuets into the trip we did find E. decangulare (Tenangle Pipewort) in and amongst the picture plants that this particular part of the Big Thicket is well known for.

Please note, as this is in a National Preserve, we applied for permets for everything collected.....better to get a permit than a fine.

Hope you enjoy.

Eriocaulon Decangular

Carnivorus plants and other flora around the E. Decangular

Later down the trail we found a couple of friends...and more plants

Houston Areas Aquatic Plant Society

Also
    I wanted to note that the E. Decangulare that was collected as been cleaned and planted in both an emersed set up and submerged to test it's viability for aquarium use.

Comment

those are great. I miss going up there. But dont miss those big spiders!!
      2 75s, 125,55,25 and 14 gallon tank

Comment

really amazing photos, of everything, the carnivorous plants were especially cool
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

cool pics!

do you know what kind of pitcher plants those were? they looked like some kind of sarracenia(not sure if thats spelled right) if they are they would make a good plant for a bog filter on a pond.

Comment

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing!!

FF

Comment

awesome pictures.....that was amazing.....i love the big thicket....

Comment

Originally posted by JStrider View Post
                cool pics!

do you know what kind of pitcher plants those were? they looked like some kind of sarracenia(not sure if thats spelled right) if they are they would make a good plant for a bog filter on a pond.
                No, I do not know what species the pitcher plant is. I can ask and find out though.

Comment

what is AEH (Aquatic Enthusiasts of Houston)??? Is this a new club? Are you guys no longer a part of NASH?

Comment

Originally posted by beaver24 View Post
                    what is AEH (Aquatic Enthusiasts of Houston)??? Is this a new club? Are you guys no longer a part of NASH?

For permit purposes only. It is not an official club.

Comment

Thanks for the photos! Glad the area isn't suffering from the drought as some places. This is one of my favorite areas to collect. I was supposed to work there this summer as a ranger naturalist (I teach so there is a special program that places teachers in parks.) I had hoof problems and had two give my slot to someone else.

How were the creeks and rivers? Fall is coming up and it will soon be cool enough to go collecting fish. This summer was a real bummer. I collected only a few mollies for my gene pool and some Fundulus and Notropis that did not seem to like my water conditions or were already stressed by the drought. (A fungus came amongst them and smited them with a furry, white fist.) I will try again Labor Day Weekend.

Come on out to FOTAS in September! If you haven't been bring lots of money on Sunday cause you will see fish you have never seen before. The last one I went to took almost all day to finish. (See HAS site for details.) You can't beat the location - the Omni or the price $25.00 for three days of talks, show, and auction.

sigpic
                      No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
                      AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
                      LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
                      AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
                      NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
                      MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

Working...
                      X