One more time: Collecting Trip - FW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more time: Collecting Trip - FW

I am planning to go collecting next weekend. My collecting trips, if solo, constist of surveying various water sheds stopping at creeks, parks, rivers, and anyplace that seems to hold water. I am interested in livebearers and killies in freshwater only! But am not opposed to dragging a seine for some SW fish if someone so wants. My plan is to go east into the swamps and creeks until I hit the Louisiana border the swing south and return to Houston by I10. This can take a couple of days to do right but with the drought I figure a lot of the collecting spots will be dry. Please email me at stanperk60@yahoo.com and leave a phone number.

What to bring!!! Coolers!! 5 gallon buckets, dip nets, small seins, fish traps, old clothes, leech cures, sulphur powder for chiggers and ticks, hat, lots of water, spare clothes. I am bringing a thermometer, a bottle of test strips to check water quality. I would bring a conductivity meter but it has taken a vacation to Belize. It said it would bring back some nice swordtails if I let it go!

Proper clothing: field work is dangerous folks. Wear long sleeved pants and shirts. Tennis shoes or heavy bottomed wading shoes are great! There are leeches, ticks, and snakes where we are going. I have never lost a student or a partner yet and don't plan starting with this trip. It is hot!!!!!!! Hats are suggested as are sunblock not suntanning lotion. If you have some of those hand held radios it would be great for communication between cars. I have one (the other one eloped to Belize with my conductivity meter.)

Food is on you! I am a can of vienna sasauges or jerky man myself but we can do McDonalds or the country equivalent. I have my Texas Freshwater Fishing Liscense. If you are of age you should too. Game wardens have very little sense of humor when it comes to law breakers. No illegal collecting tools. ( I took the grenades, the electroshocking rig, and the roetonone out of the truck yesterday just in case.)

How do we bring our fish back? GOOD Coolers are the best method in this climate. Igloo coolers will hold a lot of fish bags and ice packs to keep them cold. I take two: one for the ice packs and one for the fish loaded with bags and such for the packing.(Ice cooler for refreshments is suggested but optional.) I keep several five gallon buckets and a couple of pieces of aluminum screening for temporary holding containers. I bring a couple of batery powered air pumps for the buckets. This might be a good time to collect some native water plants as well so newpaper would be good.

Transportation - my truck is old and and the ac dosen't work and there is no radio - nuff said!
    Last edited by Paleoguy; 07-29-2009, 12:27 AM.
    sigpic
    No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
    AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
    LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
    AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
    NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
    MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Sooo tempting...Sooo hot...!
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Watch out for snakes!
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

trip canceled - personal emergency

Sorry I must deal with a personal emergency and will not be collecting this week end.
        sigpic
        No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
        AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
        LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
        AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
        NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
        MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

I hope everything turns out all right for you.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
          X