Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

because i didnt know and others might not either.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• because i didnt know and others might not either.

a friend of mine on a differenc forum informed me of a tragedy that struck his tank. because i was unaware to watch for this, i'm letting others know too. if you already knew this, you can move on.

my friend recently drained and divided a 80 gallon tank by placing a glass divider in and caulking it into place with 100% silicone sealant. after allowing it to cure, filled the tank, and put in a few "cycle in" fish. 2 days later everything was dead. the process was repeated, water change, new fish. precisely 2 days later, dead. after examining the only factor that had changed (all readings were normal for a cycling tank) he looked at the silicone. it was silicone 2, not 1. silicone 2 (manufactured by GE) contains a additive called bio-block. it prevents moisture related mildew and mold. but, when used in aquariums, becomes toxic for fish, as it leaches into the water. for all who are re-sealing tanks, make sure you grab Silicone 1.

i say this because we just resealed my tank with silicone 2 and i read that post the day i was going to put fish in my tank. i would have lost them all. Worse yet, i would never have known why...

hope this helps guys!
    140 New World Cichlids
    125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
    80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
    30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
    29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
    And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

GE Silicone II has written on it, "Not for use in aquariums" or similar wording. Another reason I only use Dow Corning 100% silicone on my tanks.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I read this the other day also.. thanks for sharing
      300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

yea alot of silicone tubings ready not for aquariums, but most cases its for liability reasons. i went with 100% silicone selant GE brand type 1. we shall see.
        140 New World Cichlids

Comment

Why try and save a couple on silicone when you are going to put $100's or $1000 of fish in the tank. I only use silicone that has been approved for aquariums.
          Richard Douglas

Comment

silicone 1 will be fine.
            fishless

Comment

yea silicone 1 has worked great. recommended to me by someone. fish are happier than ever in their new home!
              140 New World Cichlids

Comment

Working...
              X