This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY BAD experience with Fish Land

I posted this as a reply in another thread, but I decided it was best to put this in its own thread.

I had a very bad experience with this store and will absolutely never buy anything from them again.

When I was looking for my 75g setup, I shopped around like most people. Got the best price from these guys so I was ready to buy. This was a high tech setup, not just the basics.

All was good until it was time for me to pay. I wanted to pay 100% right then and there, for delivery and all, even though they didn't have it all in. Now here's where the problem began. I wanted to pay with a credit card.

The owner (younger guy, can't remember his name) is who I dealt with the entire time (3 visits prior). He was the one who wrote up the quote (on a blank piece of paper). However, when payment time came around, he walked a few feet away while the older guy (strong accent) starting telling me he'd prefer that I pay cash.

I told him I did not want to pay cash. Asked if he took credit cards. He said yes. But then he went on and on about having problems with people refusing the charges with their credit card companies, he was "worried" and "afraid" and what have you.

So I asked very clearly. Do you accept credit cards. It's okay if you do not. That is how I want to pay. Please let me know either way, yes or no. Will you accept my credit card or not?

He said yes. But then he went on for yet another 5 minutes, asking that I split up the payment. I said I really just wanted to pay for the whole thing and wait for delivery next week. I didn't understand why I would be asked to split up the payment. He said that by splitting up the payment, if I rejected one with the credit card company, they'd still have the other.

Then he tried to convince me to pay half with a cc and half cash.

At this point, I called my husband. I had never had anything like this happen before. I was very confused. I was not mad if they didn't take credit cards; I simply wanted them to make a final decision. If they wanted to take it, then do so. If not, then don't. Either way was fine. Just stop the whining and decide.

I let my husband hear what this guy was saying over the phone. I even let him talk to the guy to see if maybe I was misunderstanding something. After that, my husband strongly suggested that I walk out. Something just was not right.

I later stumbled into another person who I must say was biased as she worked at a different LFS. However, she could repeat the story to me almost verbatim without me telling her. What was of greatest significance was that the "quote" from Fish Land was plain paper. What this person told me is that they have a had a lot of people come to them for warrantee coverage on stuff they had bought from Fish Land, but Fish Land would refuse to honor it. The problem was that Fish Land not only wrote their quotes on plain paper, but they also used that same plain paper as the RECEIPT. Which meant, NO true receipt! What really caught my attention with this is that I remember the owner (younger guy) at Fish Land WAS using that plain piece of paper with the quote as my receipt.

<Removed speculation of criminal act> **without definite proof, I didn't feel comfortable with this being available for public view. - imagirlgeek

But it really doesn't matter. After that experience, I will never go into that store again. I know they were doing something that just was not right. I believe in completely honest dealings in all my financial concerns, and do not play games.

Sorry for the rant, but I thought this was a rather serious event I experienced from them.
    Last edited by imagirlgeek; 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM. Reason: removed speculation
    Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
    • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
    • 29g Planted - Journal
    • 29g Planted
    • 5g Planted RCS

dont feel bad for posting this...an experience is an experience. Retailer Feedback should not JUST be praise.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

I have to agree with you. Do you take credit cards as payment, yes or no? Not maybe. Splitting up the cost between various cards is something you offer when a client cannot place the entire charge onto one card due to credit limits or based on the current amount of your minimum payment. It should not be REQUIRED!
      Receipts should not be on plain paper.
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
        <removed speculation of criminal act>
        Most small businesses, true "mom and pops", prefer cash for the very reason you suspect. That's why when you go to these places, cash is king, and the best deals can be negotiated if you let them know you're paying cash up front.

I've had mixed experiences at Fish Land - both on the customer service and the fish. Its not one of my preferred LFS's to shop, but I'll stick my head in there every now and then if I need something specific they sell.

Sorry about your experience. Since we're on the subject of credit card purchases, ANY business that tells you that you have to make a minimum puchase with a credit card is breaking the agreement they have with the credit card company. If you file a complaint, they could lose their terminal. They make you buy a minimum so that they can over come the flat rate fees that come with each transaction.
        Last edited by imagirlgeek; 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM.
        Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

he been doing this for years...

Comment

Originally posted by Delock View Post
            Does not make it right though...
            PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Newb, thanks for your comment. You never know how people will receive negative feedback on anything.

Nick, that's what I didn't get. I wasn't asking to split up the purchase. They only wanted a deposit, and I was the one who wanted to just pay for it outright. I have excellent credit and my available credit on just my main card is enough to buy a house full of high tech setups. I pay it off every month so there's no balance (and no finance charges). However, the guy at Fish Land couldn't have been concerned about my cc because he never even tried to ring it up. He kept saying he takes cc and would take my cc, but wouldn't actually take it to finish the purchase.

jeebus, agreed on the cash deals at some places. But that requires a "wink and a nod" on both sides. I felt I was being tricked into it without my knowledge or agreement.

I think one of the aspects that unnerved me most was after I got out of there and then started thinking about how the owner walked away a few feet to allow the other guy to take over. It wasn't because the owner was busy with anything. He was standing there, just watching. It felt very... eerie? I came across like a setup. I fully believe they knew what they were trying to do.
              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
              • 29g Planted
              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

I will tell it like it was/is for me....

My first dealings with Fishland back in 07 were positive, I liked their prices and paid a little over 1500.00 for a 125 gallon tank, filters, lights, etc etc....I just threw down my plastic and told them to just debit the charge....all was well....

My problem came about 5 weeks later when I tried to return a AC100 that I decided not to use. I had opend the box, but decided not to add this filter to the system and went back to fishland to exchange the filter for store credit towards fish or other merchandise...well...that's where I ran into my negative feelings with Andy (the owner).

He told me, that since the box was open, he would only give me 35 or 40 dollars store credit due to the open box....he reasoning was plain and simple and understandable....the box was no longer factory sealed and would be harder to sell now....and I agreed with his reasoning......

What Andy did not seem to care about was the fact that just 5 weeks earlier I had just bought 1500.00 dollars worth of goods from him and my arguement was that he might want to consider eating a small loss on the opened AC filter in comparison to the large profit, I'm sure he enjoyed after my initial purchase from him.

Well, he did not agree and we parted ways with me swearing to never go in the store again.....

Suffice it to say, that months later I went back into the store and settled my difference's with Andy, and now, Andy and I have a very good "buyer/seller" understanding.

Since working things out with Andy (Fishland), I have no reservations in regards to returning now and then for more good deals and even a little friendly banter.....I understand your feelings in this matter and would only offer you my personal experiences for your consideration.

Best of Luck Vicki....

CF
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

So it wasn't just me? I didn't misunderstand? He really was trying to pull a fast one? I thought so, but this is the first unbiased confirmation I've had. Thank you.

Originally posted by Nickintex View Post
                  Does not make it right though...
                  Oh, it really does not make it right. He screwed with my head at the time. He did not know what I was going through nor the significance of that setup.

I was in a very deep major depression and was highly suicidal while going through therapy for child abuse which included, among other things, being raped by my father for 8+ years. My tanks was the first tiny light in the darkness of it all. That's why I got back into my tanks. And then this guy pulled this stunt on me?

It's not his place to know what his customers are going through; however, treating people with dishonesty and setting them up for a trick is wrong, and he has no idea what the consequences are to the customer. This is why it is important to always be upfront and honest with people.

Thinking back on the feelings I experienced after the whole thing makes me a little angry now. I had enough to deal with already and did not need to be this guy's victim for his money games. I'm glad I walked out of there.
                  Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                  • 29g Planted
                  • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

CF, I respect your decision. I may have done the same as you if I experienced a disagreement over restocking charges. But not trickery. If he is willing to trick a human being in one way, what else is he willing to do? Not the kind of person I wish to financially support with my patronage. There are many others who are trying to make an honest living. I'd rather pay them more. They deserve it. Andy does not. Not my money, at least.
                    Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                    • 29g Planted
                    • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

I was in a very deep major depression and was highly suicidal while going through therapy...
                      Been there. I know what you are going through, though I had different reasons for that stage in my life. Fortunately, that was a long time ago (late 1980's).
                      My aquarium hobby has served as therapy as well.
                      Don't let this incident discourage you. There are many other fine LFS in Houston who will be more than happy to assist you.
                      PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

So it wasn't just me? I didn't misunderstand? He really was trying to pull a fast one? I thought so, but this is the first unbiased confirmation I've had. Thank you.

You are welcome.

You will learn in this hobby who and how to deal with people. Being in this hobby I can give you an unbiased on almost (may miss one or two) of every fish store within the greater houston area. Past and Present!

Comment

Been there. I know what you are going through, though I had different reasons for that stage in my life. Fortunately, that was a long time ago (late 1980's).
                          My aquarium hobby has served as therapy as well.

Don't let this incident discourage you. There are many other fine LFS in Houston who will be more than happy to assist you.
                          Thanks. I wasn't discouraged. This event with Fish Land happened almost 2 years ago. I went on to find my tank setup, as you can see in my sig.

I'm sorry you also experienced major depression. I used to think depression wasn't real. Boy, does your mind change when you actually experience it! I'm still in therapy, but my depression has been gone for about 9 months. I just stopped taking all anti-depressants within the last month (under doctor's supervision), and I'm thrilled that I'm still very stable. I am now attending UofH to get my BS in Psychology (Bachelor of Science kind of BS )), and will then go on to grad school, hopefully, for a PhD. I want to be a therapist, specializing in psychodynamic therapy.

When I do have my own practice, I want to have tanks in my office for my patients. I think they are very therapeutic and calming for many people.

I'm glad I didn't shock everyone with my openness. I'm comfortable with it, but I never know how others will receive it.

You are welcome.

You will learn in this hobby who and how to deal with people. Being in this hobby I can give you an unbiased on almost (may miss one or two) of every fish store within the greater houston area. Past and Present!
                          At the time, I was so confused by what happened, I didn't know what to think. I have never had an experience like that when buying anything, large or small.

But, yeah, I can deal with people. I just choose to not deal with people like that. Mistakes I can handle. Not being perfect all the time is fine. Give and take. But in the end, I believe in treating others fairly and being treated fairly in return.
                          Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                          • 29g Planted
                          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

I'm glad I didn't shock everyone with my openness. I'm comfortable with it, but I never know how others will receive it.
                            Trust me, it's ok. If they can deal with my openness, they can deal with anyones. Some members think I may be too open, but I'm just very comfortable with who I am. Glad you are as well!
                            PLECOS SUCK!

Comment

Some members think I may be too open, but I'm just very comfortable with who I am. Glad you are as well!
                              Very well put.
                              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                              • 29g Planted
                              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
                              X