Somethings Weird...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somethings Weird...

My discus have been acting a lil weird lately.. the biggest one is kind of dark and hides behind the driftwood all the time, isnt eating much, and on top of that the 2 smallest ones have developed fin rot
    theyre in a 29 gallon tank theres 6 of them (2.5-3 inches), i do 2 waterchanges a week

What should i do..
    Thank You in advance
    And it begins...

what % water changes? live plants? filtration ? lights? what is the activity level around the tank? Have you added anything to their tank in the last 3 weeks?
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

agree with what lilmissruffcountry commented.
      if you had not added anything new ( real plants, fish..) that might contain parasite, then you can just do water change ( about 50-60%) then add aquarium salt and formalin 3( can purchase from Dan at HAW), that will help a lot.

Comment

Not to mention, an I can see you have plans for it, but you have too much fish in the tank. Discus are beautiful fish, but do not do well in cramped spaces...an that could also be a problem...they can stress real easy too, is why I comment on the activity level around the tank. I am not, by any means trying to be mean....I hope I don't come off in that way at all. Also...what temp is the tank...they could be too hot or cold.

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
        agree with what lilmissruffcountry commented.
        if you had not added anything new ( real plants, fish..) that might contain parasite, then you can just do water change ( about 50-60%) then add aquarium salt and formalin 3( can purchase from Dan at HAW), that will help a lot.
        BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

IMO there is something going on with disease or parasite. Formalin works from what I have been told I am just against using it because it is dosing with Formaldehyde and if you have inverts from what I have read they wont survive this. I like the use of Primafix and/or Melafix. What I have done is dose with both as recommended, increase temps to about 86-88 and add airstones to the water. But either way you go waiting will only ensure doom.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
          28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

But please do add some more details behind the tank. Use the below questionnaire. Remember as much detail is better

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

i do 50% wc 2x a week, i havent done anything different in the tank,temp is 84 its running on 2 aqua-tech 20-40, besides them theres a cory in the tank and hes doing fine, no live plants. i live preety far from HAW is there something i can get in a petsmart or petco or something to heal this if there isnt i guess i can drive to HAW..
              And it begins...

Comment

btw the tanks been running for 9 months and im starting daily wcs today
                And it begins...

Comment

You can get the Mela and Prima at any LFS but with most treatments you can do WC as it defeats the purpose once you start it
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by DiscusKid View Post
                    i do 50% wc 2x a week, i havent done anything different in the tank,temp is 84 its running on 2 aqua-tech 20-40, besides them theres a cory in the tank and hes doing fine, no live plants. i live preety far from HAW is there something i can get in a petsmart or petco or something to heal this if there isnt i guess i can drive to HAW..
                    By the way IMO you need to do more water changes if you are going to have that many discus in that size tank. They are messy from my experience which reduces the water quality real quick. You need to do about 50% almost every other day because you may get stunting or disease
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

i have a bottle of mela but no pima, i was just thinking about that lol it makes no sense to start a treatment if im doing daily wcs.. ima do daily wcs for a week and ill see if theres improvement, btw what can i do about the fin rot?
                      And it begins...

Comment

When you do a water change, add back the amount of meds you removed. Only exception are meds which very specifically say to not do water changes. Double check this with others here since I haven't used meds in a long time.

If you have fish with fin rot and other fish in the same tank with visible color changes, hiding and not eating, I would take more action than just water changes. Add the Primafix, run out and buy Melafix and add that. Follow the other suggestions given regarding the airstone and temperature. Make sure to match the water temps when doing water changes. You don't want to stress them further with wild temp swings.

You can also keep your lights turned off which helps calm fish. If the fish are in a high traffic area (lots of activity close by, a TV close by, etc) you can cover the tank with a blanket to help keep the fish calm.
                        Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
                        • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
                        • 29g Planted - Journal
                        • 29g Planted
                        • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

That's too many fish for that size tank, Discuskid. You need to do at least daily 50% to 75% water changes and look for a new tank ASAP. Discus foul their water quickly and the elevated temps in discus tanks accelerates decay of leftover food, further deteriorating water quality. At this point I think your biggest problem is overcrowding and water pollution. Hopefully they have not already stunted.

Mark
                          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I wouldn't medicate unless you know exactly what you're medicating for. Frivolous medicating can be detrimental.
                            I agree, though. Keep with your plan of more water changes.

Have you tested for nitrite and nitrate?

The fin rot can be a symptom of sub-par water quality.
                            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                              I wouldn't medicate unless you know exactly what you're medicating for. Frivolous medicating can be detrimental.
                              True. But he knows he's medicating for fin rot at the very least.
                              Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
                              • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
                              • 29g Planted - Journal
                              • 29g Planted
                              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
                              X