Livebearers in outdoor pond ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livebearers in outdoor pond ?

Can I keep Mollies, platies or those kind in an outdoor pond ?
    My name is Andri, and I'm an Ikoholic ! Back in the game !

Yes for sure on mollies. I know platys can survive the warm weather months but not sure about the winter. I know of several ponds that have mollies in them year-round.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I put three guppies in my pond about two months ago and now I have about 100! I also put two mollies in.
      Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Platies will multiply in an outdoor pond

Comment

Gambusia do great in a pond.
          PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

all livebearers do fine in ponds, just bring them in during winter....
            I have all kinds in container ponds at my house I raise them mostly for feeder usage....or when I need a nice looking sword tail for a display tank...I also use yellow lab fry for feeders and convicts aswell!!
            HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

If you dont wanna take them in during winter you might wanna get a large heater for the pond depending on the size of the pond
              Last edited by kmehlhorn; 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Gambusia afinus and Sailfin Mollies grow wild in the Houston area. Gambusia will almost swim into your fish net. Mollies are harder to catch, I would need a cast net. Does any one want to go collecting for livebearers?

Comment

Mollies can survive pretty cold winters with a couple inches of dirt or soil in the bottom. Ponds or thick walls containers. Glass seem to let the water get to cold at night. But is warm during the day as it allows sunlight to heat up a little more.

Comment

Most "tropical" fish can live most of the year in most local ponds. Snakes, birds, racoons , and dragonfly larva cause more concern than temperatures.
                    My specifics are a 3' deep pond (liner) in partly sun. Last winter , with no added heat, swordtails and zebra danios wintered over. I float urethane sheathing ( during cold spells- if I am in the mood) sometimes. If you add a little heat (like 200watts in my 800 gal - during cold spells only) and the sheathing, many fish will survive.
                    My pond get 4 to 6 hr of sun. Depending on depth, I think full Houston sun could be a problem .

Comment

The biggest problem I have had with raising fish outdoors is the mosqueto control trucks spray to keep the mosquetos down and it kills my fish.
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                      X