what kind of live food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of live food?

I was just wondering about feeding my 7" red oscar live food.
    i wanted help to choose the live food
    does anyone know any live food that is rich in nutrients?

P.S.
    i saw some crickets at my local petsmart is that ok for the oscar?
    its the first time i ever chose to feed him live food
    Last edited by Nguyener; 07-15-2009, 12:50 AM. Reason: adding things
    <(72 gallon bowfront tank)>
    ~ Oscars
    <(10 Gallon Tank)>
    ~ Planted tank
    ~ Dwarf Hairgrass
    ~ RCS Colony
    <(5 Gallon Tank)>
    ~ Dwarf Hairgrass

Shrimp, crawfish. Be careful if you collect your own as you may be introducing pathogens and parasites into your aquarium. Stay away from feeder goldfish and bait minnows.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

guppies after a week or two of QT would be good.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

They like bettas

Oscars only eat 2 things
        things that move that will fit in their mouth
        and thing that don't move that will fit in their mouth.

Oscars are pigs - if you put 1 feeder in the tank, they will eat it.
        If you put 50 feeders in the tank they will eat all of them.
        They will eat so much they will bust a gut and die.

The best results i ever had was to feed them floating pellets and control the amount in the water at one time.

Then when they laid eggs all over the 75g tank, I found out that both were females...............
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I feed my two rosies, but like the previous post, you have to becareful, cause they'll eat all of them. I get them 25 for $1, so I put them all in, and they were gone by the next morning, and well, lets just say I used to have three oscar's, not just two. Poor guy. But mine like ghost shrimp alot, more than feeder fish it seems.

Comment

Earthworms are one of the best all-around foods for non-herbivorous cichlids. Just be careful where you collect if you dig up your own.

Mark
            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
              guppies after a week or two of QT would be good.
              +1 Breed them and you will have an endless supply.

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
              Earthworms are one of the best all-around foods for non-herbivorous cichlids. Just be careful where you collect if you dig up your own.

Mark
              +1 A lot of carnivorous fish love earthworms. Just make sure the area where you collect them hasn't seen any grass fertilizers, etc.

Also ghost shrimp like mr big87 said but you will have to keep buying and quarantining them. They can breed but they have a larval stage...
              I would give him mostly pellets (as a staple) and then give him feeder guppies and frozen foods as occasional treats.

Disclaimer: All of this is from what I have read.
              -Laura-

Comment

earthworms are good, just use the ones you can buy from academy.

live crawfish that you buy from the grocery store

if you do give them feeder fish give them the comet goldfish. it helps bring out their reds more than minnows

crickets are okay, but more hassle than they were worth imo.
                ‎Haiku's are easy
                But sometimes they don't make sense
                Refrigerator

Comment

I did mealworms for a while, they are easy to keep (in a plastic box)
                  don't smell too bad and don't pass on any common diseases.

AND THEY CRUNCH
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                  X