Adding native fish to an existing tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding native fish to an existing tank

I've been thinking about going on a collection trip in a couple of nearbye ponds and creeks, and I was wondering if I need to take any precations or anything when adding the native caught fish to an existing tank with "petstore" fish? Thanks.

Yes, yes, yes!:) Quarantine any wild caught fish for at least a month. If you notice any odd behaviors, medicate accordingly. A QT is VERY important for all new fish, and especially for wild caught fish.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

In addition to Mzungu's excellent advice, you may not want to put any predatory fish in with your neons or guppies... Also, some native fish prefer flowing water and most prefer lower temps than tropicals. Although people have done it successfully, I'd personally keep them separate.
      <*||||>< <*||||>< <*||||><

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
        Yes, yes, yes!:) Quarantine any wild caught fish for at least a month. If you notice any odd behaviors, medicate accordingly. A QT is VERY important for all new fish, and especially for wild caught fish.
        Originally posted by mdwalt View Post
        In addition to Mzungu's excellent advice, you may not want to put any predatory fish in with your neons or guppies... Also, some native fish prefer flowing water and most prefer lower temps than tropicals. Although people have done it successfully, I'd personally keep them separate.
        I agree with them both. When I qt new fish, if I have to treat for disease I restart the 30 day qt clock from when the symptoms of the disease are gone.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Now to find time to go catch some.....

Comment

Remember that any type of game fish is illegal to keep in Texas
            oooah!

100 gal: 1 Arowana, 2 Oscars, 1 Red Bellied Pacu, 1 Pleco

55 gal: GS Puffer, Rope Fish, 2 Angels, 2 Killifish, Butterfly Fish, 2 Sand Golbys, 2 Plecos, 2 Gold Gourmis

Comment

When I QT my WC fish, I treat them with Melafix, since they prolly have some skin damage from being captured in a minnow trap or cast net.
              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I've only had luck doing this a few times and only when i kept the fish i caught in a tank all alone. When i added some killi fish to my SA tank, they died in about a week. I kept like 30 perch in a tank for a long time. I dont know what the difference was (by that i mean the water parameters) but good luck.

Oh, and while they might be illegal to keep.....are YOU gonna tell?
                If it ain't wild caught
                You ain't doing it right

Comment

local fish

Most of the fish on this side of town are used to brackish water so you may want to add a little extra salt to their quarantine tank.
                  'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                  He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Make sure you have a fishing license if you are over 15 years old.
                    55g Planted- Malawi and Victorian Cichlids
                    35g Cube- P. Saulosi, Petrochromis, Sunshine Peacocks
                    20L Planted- RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Snails
                    2.5g Planted- Snails, RCS

Comment

I'd have to say that the three most common problems are fungus, parasites, and poor water conditions. Frequent water changes keep natives healthy. Keel the tank temps lower than with tropicals with good water circulation. I have my native tanks filled with java moss, najas, and hornworth. Watch your net buckets for dragon fly larvae. Just one will eat your fry.
                      Everyone screams that they don't have quarrantine space. Go to Wally World and buy a couple of 6 to 10 gallon Sterilite clear plastic containers(I bought 2 6-8 gallons for $3.50 each). Punch a hole in the lid and drop in a sponge filter and some hornworth. Instant tank! Keeping killies and livebearers, I use lots of these tanks for fry, eggs, and just prenat tanks.

Well good luck!
                      Last edited by Paleoguy; 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM.
                      sigpic
                      No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise” Lewis Caroll
                      AKA, SAA, NANFA, TAKO, HAS, AKA, BKA, ALA, BLA
                      LIVEBEARERS, SOUTH AMERICAN ANNUALS, NATIVE KILLIES
                      AND MOUTHBROODERS ANY TYPE.
                      NEEDED OLD TYPE EGYPTIAN MOUTHBROODER
                      MALES WERE BLACK IN COLOR

Comment

Working...
                      X