Exotics and Invasives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exotics and Invasives

I hate to say it, but we Texans have rules about these guys. :( I did a little bit of internet research, and found these important pages:

Quote: Anglers should also eviscerate or kill any exotic fish they catch, and not release the fish back into Texas waters.

Quote:
    General Prohibited Acts
    It is a violation to:

• Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp, or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, except on those waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect...

Just an FYI.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
    I hate to say it, but we Texans have rules about these guys. :( I did a little bit of internet research, and found these important pages:

Quote: Anglers should also eviscerate or kill any exotic fish they catch, and not release the fish back into Texas waters.

Quote:
    General Prohibited Acts
    It is a violation to:
    Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp, or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, except on those waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect...

Just an FYI.

thanx for that info MB!
    but the part i highlighted in red sounds kinda twisted and crewl as opposed to just instantly killing it, im pretty sure his intestines will stop working as soon as a swift blow with a rock or something similar is administered, why gut him aswell
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

i think its what they considered to be final without saying removal of the head.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President
      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

well, i know this is gunna sound morbid, but i think i'd rather have instant decapitation then having my intestines removed, sounds kinda messed up.
        FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

i catch tilapia all the time in a ditch behind my moms house. i dont think killing a few is going to stop them. they are on a pinky and the brain mission.
          fishless

Comment

they are on a pinky and the brain mission.

FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

what are we going to do tonight brain?

the same thing we do everynight pinky, try to take over the world!

FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

not that many texas cichlids left in that ditch. mostly tilapia and bass. plecos have taken over too.
                fishless

Comment

Please if anyone catches a non-native fish....please contact me via PM.

I will take any fish over 6 inches off your hands.

thank you.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by EaRtHeAtEr View Post
                    well, i know this is gunna sound morbid, but i think i'd rather have instant decapitation then having my intestines removed, sounds kinda messed up.

Me too.
                    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

you dont want to go the way of ritual samurai?, naw i think head removal better too. but yeah why doesnt someone start collecting and do something with them. like make good fertilizer.
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President
                      Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Those plecos look like they came from somebody's aquarium...

the tilapia looks like it came from the local asian market ........
                        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

man, i have caught well over 30 GIANT, im talking 2'+ common plecos at the bayou that runs through my neighborhood in a single day, they are everywhere.

we have a kindoff rapids area, it flows over and through some big rocks, and its really cool, cause you see there natural behaviour, they all sit in the rapids and chill, i have even seen them eating the algae off the rocks in the clear areas.
                          really neat stuff.
                          i caught a HUGE Sailfin gibbeceps, it was alittle over 16"tl, i should have kept him, but didnt know what he might have since he came out of a nasty bayou.
                          i am gunna try to catch one when they come out again when it cools off alittle, since the water levels low, i should be able to catch one no problem.
                          i will catch one and post a pick.
                          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X