Todays bait....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays bait....

I told a few of you not long ago that I would at the very least take pics of some of the fish I catch in my cast net of my fishing trip....well, we hit the Lower San Jac this morning and ran across a few that I thought y'all would be interested in....

Here's the first guy....

The second....

And, the last....

A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Soooo....any idea what these guys are?

Comment

First looks like a sheepshead minnow - they're great aquarium fish.
      Second - not sure. Possibly some kind of shiner? I'll have to look around in my books for a bit.
      Third - a kind of silverside, maybe? Don't do too well out of their native habitat. Kinda like shad, for you bait people that have tried to keep shad alive for any length of time, it's not easy. :)
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

P.S. You're awesome! Thanks for thinking of us! That's so sweet! :)

Comment

I agree on the first, the second looks like it might be some kind of killie, by shape and mouth. The third looks like a minnow, maybe a glass minnow.

nice pics, BTW.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

The sheephead minnow....what would it take to keep them?

Comment

Second might be a Fundulus - it's difficult for me to try to ID when they're not in water. :)

Do you still have them? On the second fish, is the tail rounded or forked?

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHunter View Post
                The sheephead minnow....what would it take to keep them?
                A small tank, simple filter, and possibly a little marine salt in the water. They tend to live in slightly brackish water, and can sometimes thrive in saltwater. They stay pretty small, and they're a nice looking fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                  Second might be a Fundulus - it's difficult for me to try to ID when they're not in water. :)

Do you still have them? On the second fish, is the tail rounded or forked?

Unfortunalty and fortunatly I let them all go....they weren't big enough for bait, and it was just too hot to try and keep them....even our mullet were dying quick and they tend to stay alive pretty well most times....that sun yesterday was something else....I did bring home a nice sun tan/burn!

As for the tail, I really can't remember....

This place we go to is alive with fish....big time!!!! The few smaller ones I was able to catch and photogragh were all caught in the castnet....if I would have brought along the sein, there would have been many more fish to ID.

If anyone ever wants to go on a river collection trip, just et me know....I have a kayak, a 14 foot flat bottom with a 2.5 hp engine and a 17 foot tri-hull with a 70 engine....although the larger boat needs a new trailer axle at the moment. But we should have it back on the water soon.

With the yak, obviously anyone who wants to go would need their own yak....but the 14' flat will carry 1 - 2 other folks with me....and the tri-hull will carry 6 people....

Comment

The third one is a silverside. They do not do well in captivity.
                    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                    X