Worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worms

I was cleaning the gavel with a python as I always do. I noticed small I mean really small worm looking things coming out of the gravel. They are not swimming around the tank they are just in the gravel. Its a 55 grow out with 25 1/2" to 1" trophs. I clean it about once a week and do about a 60% water change. I will do the water parameters and get back. Has anyone else had these?????????????

Thanks FF

Google planaria or tubifex worms. Those are the most common type of little worms found in aquariums. Planaria move slowly, and don't swim. Tubifex types tend to squiggle around a lot and sometimes swim through the water like little squiggly pieces of spaghetti.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

What you need is a pair of Tiger Loaches
      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Tested the water all is normal. Will Loaches take care of the problem?

FF

Comment

How do I get rid of them?????????? Anyone??????????

FF

Comment

Which ones are they?

It's usually an indication of sub-par water quality. What do you mean by "normal?"

Comment

Comment

post a pic if you can.

With your regular waterchanges, as long as your gravel vaccuming....it should not be planeria.

With (25) 1/2 to 1" trophs in a 55 you should be in good shape till they are about 2". How often do you feed them and what are you feeding?

Are you finding the worms in the filter media as well?

Could be that your overfeeding, or the worms were in the tank before you had this setup?

Not sure about this product, but do lots of searches on How to Kill Planeria if it turns out to be this, and almost all say cut back feedings and perform daily waterchanges for like a week.

There are instances where people used a product called "VERMEX" but I never used it before and I would be leary on Trophs.
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Thanks Mzungu! I also found some info on another forum. They are they same thing Philbert had. I did not think I was over feeding but I guess that has to be it. I do weekly water changes, looks like I will be stepping them up for awhile. I can't remember what the readings were. thanks for the link. Thats what I was tring to look for, mabe gave up to soon.

FF

Comment

Thanks Geoff, I'm feeding 1mm NLS that I smash into smaller size bits for the little guys. Ahha, Could it be that I smash the food??? The tank has been up and running for years. I have never had this problem before. I feed them I time everyday.

FF

Comment

There is a NLS product called "Growth" that is already smashed up so you dont have to do it.

I would stick to feeding just once.

And do whatever helped Philbert out from the link posted.
                      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Originally posted by geoff_tropheus View Post
                        And do whatever helped Philbert out from the link posted.
                        Not the bayou, please!!

You are welcome. Good luck with them. Whatever they are. It might take the work of a couple weeks of stepped up water changes, but if you don't let them have enough to eat, they will go away. Kinda like snails: they have population explosions, but eventually die off when there's not enough to sustain them.

Comment

Don't worry no bayou!! More like the toilet or the yard. Thanks again!

FF

Comment

Working...
                          X