fronts dropping fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fronts dropping fast

yesterday, i had a front that looked distressed, and before i could finish getting the stuff out to do a water change, I lost him (these are juvies mind you, about an inch long). i went ahead with the water change, 50%, and no one more is sitting on the bottom, actually layingon the bottom gasping with his belly pointed towards thetop of the tank. he lays there gasps a bunch then tries to swim, but stops after a inch or two, still upside down.

what is this?!?! i have 3 more juvies and i dont want them getting it too. also if i can save the one currently dieing, i'd realy like to
    140 New World Cichlids
    125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
    80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
    30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
    29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
    And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

put air bubbles in your tank

Comment

+1 on air bubbles

Also, check your water for ammonia/chlorine etc. This may just be a superstition thing, but i usually try to add some sort of salt to the tank after water changes. I heard it helps, so i do it, and i've always had healthy fish. (knock on wood)
      If it ain't wild caught
      You ain't doing it right

Comment

Do you have a test kit lying around?

Also, can you tell a bit more about the fish and history of the tank? How many are in there? Anyone besides the fronts?
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

what was the history prior to this that may have caused the distress
          380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
          300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
          180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
          150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

ook, lost him last night which left me with 3, and the 3rd of this batch i just bought died randomly this morning. All my levels are ideal, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate15, temp 76-78 and holding, tankmates included 2 additional juvie fronts 1.5in, 6 red empress fry 2in ea, 3 demasoni fry 1-1.5in, 2 yellow labs 1.5in, and about 20 zebra fry (just lost eggsacks 4 days ago.). waterchange is done by vaccuming the gravel and running the hose out the door, then putting in a 2x dose of prime, and running the hose into the house and fillin it up. what surprises me is that 2 of the juvies (fronts) have been in there for like 3 weeks, no problem. and i haven't lost any fish out of any other tanks. not a single one. when the first died, i changed 50% water, then turned off one side of lights to the tank. the other 2 that died, stayed on the side with light. i know fronts like dim lights so i tried to give them dim light on a side. the only other thing in the tank is like 6 ghost shrimp

as far as food goes, i feed them tetracichlid mini granauls 2x a day, and at night give them 1 cube of frozen bloodworms to share, because when i gave them as much as the package suggested, they didn't eat them all. other than the empresses bullying each other a bit, no aggression in the tank. the other fronts follow my empresses around, and act just like them lol.
            Last edited by cichlidchic; 06-06-2009, 11:11 PM.
            140 New World Cichlids

Comment

also added salt just to be sure. moved the dying fish to a 10 gallon with air bubbles.
              140 New World Cichlids

Comment

cichlidchic are you selling fish

Comment

umm, i'll have some fry in like a month and a half, and i have one very large red zebra i need to rehome. but other than that....not really.
                  140 New World Cichlids

Comment

ok i'm getting my tank tomorrow and i will see what i have left if i don't have any money is it ok if you hang on to the fry till i get paid

Comment

i don't see anything about ph? what size is the tank ? filtration? nitrates = 15 ? if so thats not too bad but will help add a little bit to deoxygenation (if thats the problem) along with the double dose of prime. your only having problems with the fronts? the lights don't have anything to do with your problem. bubbles sound like the best bet for now but only affecting the fronts makes me wonder.
                      Last edited by cichlid1409; 06-07-2009, 02:49 PM.
                      25g - Reef
                      3.5g - Surge Tank
                      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Ash, these are not front fry, they are zebra hybrid fry

cichlid1409 the ph is about 8, and i can't remember the measurements on the Nitrate, when you look at the test cards (API Nitrate test kit) it's about 15.
                        the fronts are the newest fish in the tank. it's a 55 gallon with a 350gph HOB filter on it. slightly underfiltered, but no large fish, it's a growout tank. and i do a 50% each week on it. I don't have a spare airrator at the moment, so i lowered the water to make more aggitation from the filter.
                        140 New World Cichlids

Comment

ok can you save me some?

Comment

yea, i wasn't sellin them for another month because they are so small. let me know when you want them and i'll let you know a price and size at that time.
                            140 New World Cichlids

Comment

i think i'm getting my tank today

Comment

Working...
                              X