Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

ok, I just did about a 60% water change on my tropheus Dubs. I filled the tank back up, and added the correct amount of Kordon's NovAqua water conditioner. Two things have happened...good news first, I FINALLY had babies!!! I have counted about 7 fry in my tank so far, although I think a few of them are dying. Now the bad news...after filling the tank, I noticed that everybody except for 2-3 of them, are sitting at the bottom of the tank and not out swimming all crazy like they normally are after a water change. Why are they at the bottom, is there something I need to do.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

have you always done 60% water changes?

do you have a test kit?

temp of old water vs. temp of new water?
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Id say temperature change aswell.

Comment

I always do about 60% water change. I have only a test kit called Quick Dip ammonia test strip. I have done this test three times now and gotten a "stress" reading each time. This is the first time I have used the NovAqua though. I always just add cold water from the faucet when doing waterchange.

Comment

water temp stayed at 80.5 during the whole thing. that is where my water always is.

Comment

well, maybe it's the novaqua....

what have you used before?

do you have any of that left?

have you added that to the tank?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

ammonia can be found in city water sometimes.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

should I move them to another one of my troph tanks. I just found one bellyup but not dead.

Comment

does anybody know if Tetra Easy Balance Nitraban will kill the ammonia?
                  If it ain't wild caught
                  You ain't doing it right

Comment

I'd say it's in your water. Do another water change ASAP.... preferably through a carbon filter.

Comment

dont have a carbon filter...still do the water change???

Comment

Try some Prime - it's a bit pricey, BUT it will do the job and get rid of the amonia fast.

Comment

Yes, still do a water change. NOW.

Comment

Let us know how it works out.
                            300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

Perform a waterchange and add more O2 with either powerheads or airstone/airpumps.

Get your O2 up, and change atleast 50% of the water.

Amquel or Amquel Plus or Prime is what I always use on my waterchanges.

What other waterconditioner do you have access too?

Also, keep in mind sometimes for about 20-30 mintues after a waterchange I have had my fish act weird, like they got all scared from all the activity. Sometimes it happens.

If you are getting a "stress" indication on your Ammonia test, you definately need something that will take care of the Ammonia.

The Novaqua does not detoxify Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Cloraimines like Prime or Amquel Plus will

Last edited by geoff_tropheus; 06-03-2009, 11:32 PM.
                              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Working...
                              X