HELP, Please Identify these Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, Please Identify these Fish

Not a very good picture, but it's the best I could get with the camera I have trying to get a close-up of moving fish. I've got to get a new camera .....

Here's the back-ground on the fish. Took the kids boat riding on Lake Houston yesterday. Stopped at one of our favorite sandbars to play for a while. My 8-year old grabs the dip net and a bucket (he never goes to the lake without them). 10 minutes later he comes back with these fish. "Can we keep them Dad, can we, can we, please, please ....." Those with kids know how that one goes. I said sure, I just happen to be getting the 46-gallon bow front up and running and figure they could stay in there until I decide what fish I want in it (p.s., the set up of that tank will be on the planted tank forum in a little while).

At the lake, I just assumed they were some type of minnow, or fry from panfish or suckers. But, they look like guppies, exactly like guppies, but completely grey. Males are the size of an Endler male, and Females the size of an average guppy female (some of the females are pregnant). They act like guppies, males constantly chasing the females.

So, those that are experienced at collecting fish, are these some type of native guppy ? I've looked at a lot of websites and searched using various lookups and haven't come up with anything yet.

Any help here ?

I think they are guppies. I pulled some out of the ditch/bayou behind my house. They look just like the ones in your picture. I had them in my tank and they did good for awhile then started attacking my fancy guppies. We decided to feed them to the bass. Most were pregnant when we caught them, but they didnt give birth before they became food. We kept the one that looked the biggest. It is currently in the convict tank lol. It has been in there for 4 days and still just swims around the top of the tank. I am suprised they haven't eaten her.

Comment

...Moved to the Natives Section...
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Look like guppies to me.
        Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

mosquito fish maybe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquitofish
          Last edited by Rico; 05-26-2009, 10:17 PM.
          fishless

Comment

I'd say Gambusia affinis. (Like youngrico said)
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Gambusia affinis +3
              Be careful what you put them with. They WILL shred other fish's fins.
              If you ever do catch any suckers, I'm very interested in some.
              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

yeah im gonna agree with the above, and they can definately be and aggressive little fish. but is very prolific too. good to raise as feeders for large south americans, just need a large tub of water and some live plants and houston provides the rest of their required diet pretty easily.
                Never fear I is here
                David Abeles
                Vice President
                Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Mosquito fish it is !! Thanks for the help, sounds like they get moved to the pond once I pick out fish to put in the 46-gallon they are in.

Comment

Working...
                  X