PDA

View Full Version : Ctenopoma kingsleyae

PhishPhreek
05-24-2009, 03:34 PM
With a little bit of blind luck, I was able to pick up 3 of these guys at the GHAC auction. NICK - please tell me everything you know about these guys.

http://www.webcityof.com/ffpw3.asp?IID=281
AKA Ctenopoma ocellatum
Grey Bushfish
Zulu Perch
African Climbing Perch
Chocolate Gourami
Native to the Congo River - grows up to 6" in length

One of the many Ctenopomas - these guys are so much like wild bettas it amazes me.
Acording to various internet sources these guys
Are bubble nest builders
like soft acid water
Are preditors - eat gupppies & neons etc.
like live food and most will not accept flake food.

Nickintex
05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
With a little bit of blind luck, I was able to pick up 3 of these guys at the GHAC auction. NICK - please tell me everything you know about these guys.
I was keeping them in my 55 gallon with my angelfish and they are peaceful with fish that they cannot swallow. They really enjoy meaty foods, so bloodworms, dried shrimp and krill, cichlid and shrimp pellets are all accepted.

...will not accept flake food.
Um, nobody told this to these guys! They were eating flakes just fine, just they prefer larger items.

crazybettaman
06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
hey, i have one of those. they r the more agressive of the ctenapomas, thats species aggresive that is. my didnt like any of my asian gouramis and they really dont like each other. we had to seperate them when they were at the store. so i brought one home. hes great. love everything that i give to him. i mean everything.feeder shrimp, feeder guppies, krill, beefheart, bloodworms. pretty much everything. also im pretty sure theyre one of the few free spawners in the gourami wold. sexing is pretty hard because there is hardly any visible signs. you need to be able to see with a magnifying glass at the scales behind the gill plate andf near the caudral fin. if it is a male it will have small spines on those scales. femal wont have spines. dont look at those spines on the gill plates, both sexes have those. so becareful with a net or hand.also they will over eat easly. several times mine has been on the bottom belly aching that hes had to much. but i also have 4 bichirs 2 rope fish in there with him. hes also about 7 in and fat. but everyone is getting along great.so congrats, youve got ur self a really cool fish.oh he needs at least a fifty gal.:lupe:

PhishPhreek
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
these 3 are not eating the feeder guppies, but they do like flake and they love to hide in the wysteria.

crazybettaman
06-19-2009, 11:22 PM
do you have feeder shrimp there, or have you tried the fasting for about three days

Nickintex
07-12-2009, 12:42 AM
How are they doing now? The ones I still have are doing great.

Gapzero
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I know this is an old thread. But any chance either of you still have these cteno's?

jughead
10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
i still got my 3 from the auction.living with laetacara and angelfish.thanks nick

Gapzero
10-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Have they spawned or attempted ? Also if you ever want to get rid of one let me know.

crazybettaman
10-11-2009, 11:54 PM
ya, mine is doing great. he's around 7 in if not bigger and fat. just hangs out with my bichers, rope fish, and one firemouth.everyone gets a long fine.still love ghost shimp and masivore pellets.

Nickintex
10-12-2009, 12:18 AM
I got about 8 of them, the largest around 5 inches, but they are not up for grabs. I previously sold my excess at a GHAC auction.