Feeding MTS to puffers... worth it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding MTS to puffers... worth it??

So, I've inherited a colony of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I would like to know if I can feed these to my Fahaka Puffer and if he'd keep the ones that go into his tank in check so that they don't overrun his tank like they are doing in my 125 gallon. THANKS!!!!!

I think MTS are fine for larger puffers, but not for small ones.
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

MTS can break a puffer's teeth and cause an infection which can then kill the puffer. If you feed your puffer mts this is a chance you take. I don't recommend it. Like fishboyt said: MTS are fine for larger puffers, but not for small ones. Although I don't recommend you feed them to larger puffers either.
      A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

I have 2 Fahakas. One is about 12", and the other is about 5". The large one took out an entire tank full of MTS that I didn't even know were there (until I saw all the crushed shells), but the smaller one has never had the opportunity. I only allow the smaller one to have pond snails. edmlfc is our resident expert and I would definitely listen to her. And at least wait until Peter is bigger before risking it.

If you need pond snails to feed him, let me know.
        Our Fishhouse
        Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I think he is really a she... and she's 9" long or so. I think I might give it a shot. Worst comes to worst, I get another tank with a colony of MTS, but at least they'll keep the sand stirried up :)

Comment

How can you tell she's a 'she'? And wow!!! She got big fast!
            Our Fishhouse
            Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I think it's laying eggs......

Comment

Working...
              X