frontosa help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frontosa help

Most of my frontosa in my 100 gal tank have some white particles in their eyes and it is eating their eyes out. One of my front's eye is bind now:(
    I treated them with clout but nothing and did w/c but nothing change.
    Any advise will help.
    Thanks

You probably expected this, but do you have a pic you could post? If you don't have one, I can post a pic of what I imagine it looks like and you can confirm it's the same.

Without a pic, I can only say that I've seen perfectly healthy fish go blind (white over eyes) twice, and both times it was caused by poor conditions in the tank. I am by no means saying you have a dirty tank, only that this is when I've seen it. In both cases, it was irreversible damage. These fish still get around okay and eat just fine, but are definitely blind. (I own some of these blind fish now)

If you water conditions are fine, another possibility is that they are getting spooked and running into sharp rocks. This can cause damage to the eyes that you won't see until it deteriorates. Again, I don't think this is something you can fix.

Are there any other symptoms? Are they eating okay? Do they look dull or ragged?
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by luxtralarge View Post
      Most of my frontosa in my 100 gal tank have some white particles in their eyes and it is eating their eyes out. One of my front's eye is bind now:(
      I treated them with clout but nothing and did w/c but nothing change.
      Any advise will help.
      Thanks
      Eye problems can be caused by nicks and scratches on the eye that become infected......also as stated above by poor water conditions. My mobas have had cloudy eye where the eye becomes hazy and milky looking. I have had good results using Melafix. Just follow the instructions. It does cause the water's surface to foam some....don't worry about that and it has a unique smell, not too unpleasant. It does cause your fish to breathe more heavily. I usually treat my tank for 5-7 days and do a 50% water change after that.

Hope this helps you out. Keep us posted.
      Last edited by RonR.; 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM.
      180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

I dont have the picture of them. But the eye looks milky (cloudy). Im doing 50% water change everyday now and add salt into it.
        Most of them are hiding and looks dull.
        I'll try melafix tomorrow.
        Thanks

Comment

If you get a chance, read this thread. This is what I did with some Tropheus Moliro and it has some pics. I'm hoping your Fronts aren't this extreme, but this will give you some more options and something to compare your situation to.

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/sh...ad.php?t=23186
          Our Fishhouse
          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Working...
          X