need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help

my cuban cichlids have been acting funny for about a week. they stoped eating pellets but would still eat the bloodworms. now they wont even eat those. they taste everything and spit it back out. i dropped some baby guppies in there today and nothing. any ideas?? they act like they are hungry but wont eat anything just spit it out. their droppings are thin and clear. i think it might be some kind of internal parasite.
    Last edited by Rico; 05-24-2009, 06:17 PM.
    fishless

That's what it sounds like to me too. Do you have some Clout or Metro and some Epson Salts you can start treating them with? The white stringy poo is a classic sign of digestion problem...either IPs or Bacterial infection. Mouthing food is also a sign.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

i dont have nothing to treat them with. what do i need to get?
      fishless

Comment

Treat the tank with Metro (or whatever Internal Parasite med you have available) according to the directions on the packaging. Increase the heat in your tank to low to mid 80s and add some additional aeration. Remove any carbon from your filters. Add Epson Salt (1 tbsp per 5 gallons). Epson Salt is a natural laxative and will help them pass whatever is disturbing their digestive tract. If you try to feed them, only offer veggie based flakes or pellets, and I suggest soaking the pellets first so in the off chance they eat them, they won't swell up in their gut...since they are already pre-swollen. <-- This is just my personal tip...I always pre-soak the pellets I feed.

I'm sure others will have tips and suggestions and preferred meds to use, but definitely use the epson salts.
        Our Fishhouse

Comment

on my way to walgreens to get the epson salt. any more suggestions?
          fishless

Comment

they are in a 75g right now. 6 cuban cichlids between 1.5" - 3". should i moved them to a 20g and treat them there?
            fishless

Comment

I always buy my Clout and Metro in the Pond version so I can treat either 75 or 100 gallons at a time, but if you are using the kind for aquarium use, it might be better to move them.
              Our Fishhouse

Comment

By the way, I think you are pretty close to where I live so if you need anything please let me know. We should be around all day today....I think.
                Our Fishhouse

Comment

just came back from Fish ranch but they didnt have any metro...
                  fishless

Comment

Dan at HAW has some CLOUT for sale. He is not far from you at all.
                    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

And I have some Jungle Parasite Treatment for Ponds (1 tab treats 50 gallons). It contains metronidazole, praziquantel, trichlorfon, and diflubenzuron. For internal parasites, you treat 3 times waiting 48 hours between treatments.

If you want to come get some, let me know.
                      Our Fishhouse

Comment

how often do i put salt in the tank? is it a one time thing?
                        fishless

Comment

Yeah. And after you've medicated and done a water change, you can reassess the situation. If they are all better, then go back to your normal routine, but if they haven't improved, you'll want to dose again depending on how much water you changed.
                          Our Fishhouse

Comment

i used geltek ampicillin with good results... i also used epsom jungle parasite clear, and api general cure... my fish was hard to treat... after the geltek, fish started eating for the first time in about a month! im close by if ya wanna borrow some

Comment

they stoped eating again!!!!! i used the salt and they ate for a few days but the poop always stayed whiteish clear.
                              fishless

Comment

Working...
                              X