Giant Bettas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Bettas

For a couple of years now, I have been trying to breed giant bettas.
    I ordered a pair from Thailand but could not get them to breed.
    Just before Christmas I found a Red 1/2 giant Plakat at Petsmart imported from King Bettas in Thailand (same breeder I bought my pair from).
    I have been trying to spawn him ever since. The first 3 times I tried to spawn him, he tore up the regular (small) females. But this week I decided to try one of my older large Extended Red females and all the rain must have made a difference as I found him tending a bubble nest full of fry Saturday.
    I removed the female and she is in good condition. Today the fry are free swimming and I removed my 1/2 giant male.

I wish I could say these F1 guys will be 1/4 giants but no such luck.
    About 1/2 of them will have the 1/2 giant gene like the Male and the other half will be normal size. But the good news is that if I get a male & a female 1/2 giant to spawn, I should get 25% giants in my F2 spawn.

Ohhh, my 1/2 giant male is a Plakat (short fin) but long fin is dominant and all of the F1 fry should have long fins. The bad news is that they will all carry the short fin genes and 25% of my F2 spawn will be short fined.

And my female's sire was a double tail, so it is possible that the F2 generation will also have some double tails.

Then there is the possibility that the male is hiding some other recessive genes that will pop up in the F2 generation.

I love playing GOD with betta genetics, but Mother Nature always has a few surprises for me
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Congrats!
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

can i see a picture of the giant male?
      Last edited by andrew.young; 04-28-2009, 08:22 AM. Reason: for got a word

Comment

A bit fuzzy but this is recent.
        <-----------------------4.5"-------------------------->
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

hmm nice i like it..didnt know there was such a thing as a gaint betta

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X